Author Topic: TC Seneca value  (Read 5882 times)

Lead ball 54

TC Seneca value
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
I was wondering what is a good price for a very nice 45 cal Seneca it looks brand new he said he bought it new shot it a couple time then cleaned it and put it away till now thank you for your thoughts

Offline Daryl

Re: TC Seneca value
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »
I would have a look inside the bore before I bought it.
Nice little rifle. Value in not ruined - maybe $400.00.
My wife would not sell her's for that.

how to upload photo to forum
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 02:22:45 AM »
Look at gunbroker and see what the current market is

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 03:25:17 AM »
I am not going to answer but maybe provide a perspective.  Maybe I am being a jerk, I can accept that.  Here goes.

IMHO TCs were functional but not desirable from a design or overall quality standpoint.  They were a modern design that looked old timie from 10' away.  They were made to a price point, not for quality or authenticity.  They were OK as a starter gun.  Mostly better than some of the nasty junk available years ago.  But by any real quality standard they are not much.  There seems to be some nostalgia feelings pushing the prices up.   

If you want a nice handling half stock consider a Track Ohio rifle kit. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 05:47:43 AM »
I think her rifle looks better now, with the 36". 45 GM barrel & flat-spring lock with Bedford hammer and shortened forend with cast forend cap.
Oh- it has a wooden rod, but daughter Carol (In the picture) wanted the steel rod for the weight.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:50:32 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »
 I once carried a nice Seneca into a gun show and had dealers come up to me to buy it. It is the most sought after Tc around here and my personal favorite.. Worth 400$ easy if the bore is good.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
  The Seneca was probably one of the best of the T/Cs.  IIRC they had better rifling than the others.  Valuewise, it is whatever it is worth to you.  If the bore is good, less than $400 is an "OK" price.  $300 would be a "good" price.     
Brice Stultz

Lead ball 54

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »
Ya I get it there not a high end authentic reproduction but if it means me getting one of those abominations and going to the great outdoors and making smoke verses staying home cause I could afford something respectable then so be it I would take the ugliest smoke pole go out shoot it and have a great day and be happy to much other $#@* to worry about

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
Lead Ball,

You've got the right attitude.  Get out and smoke 'er up!

I have some low-end semi-custom flintlocks, but I still bristle when I see T/C's and Lyman's referred to as "starter" guns.  This is a hobby, not a vocation.  If, after fulfilling your nobler duties, all you can afford is a Great Plains Rifle, or a Seneca - then go for it.

$400 seems about par for a used Seneca.  At that price, I wouldn't buy it unless I really wanted it though.  Occasionally you'll trip across something like that at a pawn shop for $150 or so.  Those are the ones I'll take home whether I happened to be in the market for a gun or not. 

Dave Patterson

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »
Lead Ball,

You've got the right attitude.  Get out and smoke 'er up!

I have some low-end semi-custom flintlocks, but I still bristle when I see T/C's and Lyman's referred to as "starter" guns.  This is a hobby, not a vocation...

Occasionally you'll trip across something like that at a pawn shop for $150 or so...

A year or two ago, I blundered across a NIB .45 T/C Cherokee, along with a NIB .32 barrel, in the local pawn shop, for $250.  Ran home; kidnapped The Bride, and hauled her down to handle said rifle, which she soon decreed she "... could shoot that one!". 

I'd been searching for several years for a rifle short enough, and light enough, she'd enjoy shooting, and learn to love BP/MLs... or not, without breaking the bank account.

With a little personalization (chopping an inch or so off the LOP; replacing some of the hardware to please her eye, etc), it worked for the purpose:  she's hooked on the smell and feel of burnt sulphur, and LOVES both calibers (any caliber beginning with a "3" or "4" being a prior issue).

Since that day, she's now the proud owner of a .45 longrifle she refers to as her "squirrel rifle",  purchased used here as an assembled kit, shortened and personalized to fit her needs and tastes, and is dreaming great dreams about  an elk rifle.

She still owns and treasures her "first":  the T/C, while being fully aware of its limitations.  It's mostly used nowadays for getting the grandkids started... although both daughters-in-law covet it badly.  (Which means, Pop Pop's gonna have to build them each a rifle with no questionable breech issues to worry about).

Just yesterday evening, I saw an ad on ebay for a NIB .32 Cherokee barrel:  asking price, six HUNDRED and fifty bucks. 

Be patient:  great deals do still come along now and again, and many of them are right here in the classifieds section. 

Turtle

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 04:10:23 AM »
 the .45s hurt my cheek!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:00 AM »
HC or not, I like the little Seneca rifles.  Very affordable.  Certainly more HC than an in-line.  Great to get kids and new shooters started on.  And for those of us learning how to build better, more HC guns, they were / are a great place to try things out.  Here are a few of the Senecas I started practicing engraving on.  Also reshaped and refinished two of them to practice wood finishing techniques.  Before the TC plant burned down, I always figured that if I messed up any part too badly, I could buy a replacement and be no worse off......

As to their value, I paid between 300 and 400 for each of them.  Actually, one of them cost me a little more than that because I bought piece parts on eBay....not a recommended way to do it, but I got caught up in the moment.  I also have two TC Hawkens I engraved as well.  Planning on giving these to my nephews to start on.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:30:24 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
  Beautiful work. I understand that since the fire, Seneca parts are no longer available? Its fun to put a Seneca next to a tc hawken, the Seneca is like petite a 3/4 scale model. Nice workmanship.

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »
Those are some high class Senecas for sure , and you sure don"t need the practice ! Your family members are really blessed   :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
After 35 years of sitting in the closet with a bulged original barrel, I finally got around to re-barreling my Wife's Seneca
with a GM .45 barrel.  The TRACK hawken lock plate was almost identical to  TC's Seneca lock plate in size, so I made it
fit the rifle's lock mortise and put a Bedford County hammer on the Hawken lock parts.  The workmanship sucks, but the
 heart was in it.

easy picture upload
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:09:45 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »
If you can get a pristine one for $400 you did good.The .45's are a little cheaper to buy.Most .32 or .36's bring over $500 on auction sites,sometimes pushing $600.Can you get them cheaper?Sure but they are hard to come by.These guns retailed for quite a bit more than the Hawkens and Renegades when new.Whether they are worth it is not the point,it is what they bring.HC no,but they are a beautiful handling gun that are great fun in the woods for small game.And I think they will just keep appreciating,put it this way if you buy it right you will never lose money on it.

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 03:35:37 AM »
I have a very nice Seneca 45 for sale in the Want ads

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »
Something must be wrong with me, I wouldn't pay $10 for one.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?