Author Topic: Lead flask/container for powder  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Lead flask/container for powder
« on: March 16, 2018, 05:28:12 AM »
Lewis & Clark had gunpowder canisters made from lead...

Anyone here ever attempted anything similar?

Mike

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Lead flask/container for powder
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:45 AM »
From one of my posts on the old board:

Ever since I read the journals of Lewis and Clark as a young boy, I was taken by the cleverness of Lewis's method of storing powder in a lead canister that used just enough lead to make bullets for all the powder in the can.  Made of soldered lead, they were corrosion proof, water proof, and sealed with a cork dipped in sealing wax or pitch.  By their account, the canisters held 4 pounds of powder and were made of 8 pounds of lead.  Assuming they were shooting 0.560 cal balls (~264 grains each) in .58 cal weapons (on average), eight pounds of lead would make up about 212 round balls.  With 4 pounds of powder (28,000 grains) in the can, that would leave them 132 grains of powder per shot (including prime).  That seemed a little stiff to me, but when you consider that they were shooting elk, buffalo, and griz....maybe it's even a little light.  At any rate, it was a @!*% clever idea. So clever that I thought I would make one up for myself, just to keep up on the work shop shelf.  While there are sparse verbal descriptions of the original canisters, none now exist and, as far as I can discover, there are not even any sketches of the original design.  Also, I didn't want to make one up quite as large as the originals.  So, starting with the assumption of holding one pound of powder for a .50 cal rifle, I came up with the dimensions for a canister with a 2.5 inch inside diameter and 6.4 inches tall made out of 0.090 thick sheet lead.  The end result, shown in the following photos is made of 2.6 pounds of lead and will cast up just over 100 balls (0.490 diameter and ~176 grains each).  Holding one pound of powder, that leaves me with 70 grains of powder per shot - close enough. Anyway, just thought it was a fun thing to do in a couple of hours and thought someone else here might enjoy seeing it.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:29:36 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline al56

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:54:23 AM »
Dad spent 50 years as a Master Plumber,  Awhile back he was cleaning out his shop and had a whole stick of 3" dia lead pipe.  Guess who now owns it.  I have thought about making some of the lead containers.  Several years ago the Journal of the Early America's I think that is the name - had a  great article with sizes etc.  So I get to retire at the end of May and making several is on my list.

ddoyle

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »
Those are beyond the coolest thing ever! The ultimate multiple use expedition gear. smart, smart, smart.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
I’ve got to agree, very cool. I’m guessing one could vary wall thickness or container shape to impact the lead weight/powder ratio.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 09:14:25 PM »
Super cool.  Yep, Rich, I was thinking the same thing regarding the lead/powder ratio. 

These things are like the ultimate 18th Century long-term storage, just-in-case, survivalist/"prepper" ammo supply.  But I want one just because.   ;D
Jerry

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »
Those lead canisters are neat.  You did an excellent job with the fabrication!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 12:41:29 AM »
Thanks guys! Man I love this site!

I was thinking of a flat style flask by laying 2 pieces of sheet lead together and folding and peening the edges. Basically an envelope that is fat in the middle... Or an oval shape.

Haven't figured out a system for a top and spout yet though.

Mike