Author Topic: Keeping a time book on builds  (Read 4681 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Keeping a time book on builds
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »
I also ,build just for the enjoyment,and the excuse to visit my friend Bob W to work on projects,etc.
This whole idea is/was just for the sake of curiosity. For many years, I worked as a line mechanic at car dealerships, and, as many of you know, we were paid on a Flat Rate hour book. Always trying to improve my skills and work efficiently,was my goal. Couldn't pay the bills if I didn't turn the work,and didn't get repeat customers if I did the work sloppy or poorly.
I have about 35 builds/reworks under my belt,from 1978-1985/ then returned 2008 til present.
I really enjoy this hobby,and those I have met along the way.Especially here.

As a longtime musician, our Rule number 1 is "don't quit your day job!!!" For me, same applies here.
Have a great day and week fellows. Dave 8) 8)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
How much time does it take to build a rifle, pistol, Fowler or anything? It takes what it takes if you do the job right. If you are not going to do it right then do something else. Who cares how fast or slow the job is done if it's not done right what good is it.

Bama is right. Back when I did repair work I tried to maintain $25 an hour.
Gun owners thought that was a scandal and I am glad they did because the
bitching and belly aching about having to pay for anything concerning a gun
showed a low level of interest and I still will do NONE unless it's on an item I
made in years long passed.
I used my shop and machines for automobile work and no moaning and groaning
came from that crowd. I did a lot of transmission bushings from bearing grade
bronze and it was a good run until that material went up to where it became
impossible to make a living.I did some steel parts as well like shackle bolts for
big,major classic cars like Packard,KB Lincoln,Duesenberg and the fancy slotted
nuts that went with them.
Today,I don't concern myself with hourly wages and what gets done is just THAT.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 04:22:16 PM »
How much time does it take to build a rifle, pistol, Fowler or anything? It takes what it takes if you do the job right. If you are not going to do it right then do something else. Who cares how fast or slow the job is done if it's not done right what good is it.
That's all fine and dandy unless building these things is your full time occupation. If that's the case you better know how much time you have in your gun so you can continue to pay the bills. Fast or slow, you have to get paid for your time unless you're a hobby maker, then you can afford to give away your work if you want.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »
How many of us are in this ML gun building hobby to make an actual living on it?
Ummm, Oh, I think I answered my own question....hobby and business are two different things. That's OK. I do this because I love doing it and to get some "extra" income to buy my toys and NOT touch our household funds. Again, I'll take as long as it takes to get it right and I don't have to put in X number of hours everyday.
I think the original post was just trying to get a general idea of how long it takes a veteran builder to build one from a blank.
Tom C.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 07:02:22 PM »
Actually, I was only wondering if any one else did such a thing. I have, on occasion sold one of my builds, and usually get what my parts were plus a little something for my efforts, especially if the gun came out well. back when I was building old cars, I NEVER made any money,to speak of, for my labor,see Bob Rollers  reply, and if I broke even,or at least got my parts covered, that was cause for some serious calebration, usually  beer was involved.
I ,like most everyone else here, do this for the simple joy of creating something worthwhile,and of lasting value. I have several rifles I have traded auto repair labor for, the cars are LONG gone, rifles as good as new.
That's what I'm talking about.
Dave 8) 8)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 07:38:45 PM »
Mike I am a full time builder, this is my livelyhood. I did not say time was not important, it definitely is. What I was trying to say is to do the job right it takes what ever time it takes. I have seen many builds that were done in a minable time with as cheap components as possible to turn out a maginal rifle. There is a market for these rifles, those who can not afford a good custom rifle or do not want to pay the price. I have dealt with many individuals in all price ranges, I give them as good of a product as they can afford. It still takes what ever time it takes to do each project right.

There are a few builders that sell rifles that do not build to that standard. I know this because I have received these rifles in my shop to fix because the owner could not get the original builder to fix his down and dirty cheap work. The old addage, buyer be ware applies here.

Do it right or at least to the best of your ability, what ever time it takes, or don't do it at all.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
Mike I am a full time builder, this is my livelyhood. I did not say time was not important, it definitely is. What I was trying to say is to do the job right it takes what ever time it takes. I have seen many builds that were done in a minable time with as cheap components as possible to turn out a maginal rifle. There is a market for these rifles, those who can not afford a good custom rifle or do not want to pay the price. I have dealt with many individuals in all price ranges, I give them as good of a product as they can afford. It still takes what ever time it takes to do each project right.

There are a few builders that sell rifles that do not build to that standard. I know this because I have received these rifles in my shop to fix because the owner could not get the original builder to fix his down and dirty cheap work. The old addage, buyer be ware applies here.

Do it right or at least to the best of your ability, what ever time it takes, or don't do it at all.
you and I agree 100%.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 11:10:43 PM »
My accountant pointed out that hobby work must be taxed at the same rate other taxable income.  Therefore, I would not create a needless paper trail on hobby activities that could be misunderstood in a tax audit.     

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 11:39:00 PM »
With hobbies, if I see that I can sell some of my work, I keep the records of both income and expenses.  I do not under sell someone else just to make a sale, I figure the sales price at what I think it would sell on an open market.   You only get a discount or freebie if you are a relative, a good friend, or a 501c3 charity. 

I also keep track of my time because people are always asking how long does it take to make "that".  I also keep track of my times so that I can "brag" on something saying I spent X hours just hand rubbing the finish on this.  And last, because I want to know.  I was a game callmaker, over the years I have sold thousands of duck and predator calls.  I knew the production time for each version, and I knew how long it took if I made one or 2 dozen at a time.  It was a business, I made money and paid taxes, so I wanted to know what I was making per hour.  My sales price was based on time and materials, the time factor also accounted for my tools and their wear and tear.