Author Topic: Double barreled flintlock sporting gun.  (Read 7253 times)

Offline bgf

Re: Double barreled flintlock sporting gun.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 12:20:40 AM »
Wow!  I love that gun.  Thanks for putting it up.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »
Pukka,
What a marvelous piece of art. To answer a couple of questions; the flask is a common J&W Hawksley flas of the period. The shot/powder chargers are few and far between, and costly, however, Mike Lea makes them and has them available. I don't know the cost but they are very nice replicas and work well. He can be reached at 614-2914757 in Columbus, Ohio.
Mark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:42 AM »
Richard - simply beautiful & well done on the accumulated 'possibles'.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline heelerau

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 02:49:13 AM »
Richard,
            I picked up a copy of the Colonels book from Abe books, I did not realise it was an abridged version with out a lot of information about shooting flintlocks. He seems to think that flintlocks shot harder than the new detonator guns, and preferred his rock locks I think. Most interesting about quality of powder to, also mentioned by William Baldwin in his African Hunting and Adventure about having good quality powder in one particular year. I just finished re reading this particular book after getting a reprint. I first read it at the age of about 8 or 10 and it influenced me greatly.  Did you finish up taking that lovely fowler on walks again ?

cheers

Gordon.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 05:48:38 AM »
Evening Gordon,

When are you coming for that visit?  :-)
Yes, I think the good Colonel had private reservations re- flint right up to the end.

Not had the old girl out yet .  I have just figured out I am in a work trap.    A bit like a beetle in a sand -hole. work and work at it and just can't get out!
I do need to go walk-about with it, but always other stuff needs doing.  V sobering really!
Come for a visit and we'll both go walk-about!

Offline heelerau

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2019, 02:26:51 PM »
Pukka,
          that walk may well be possible in the next year or two. I find that if I always do chores first I don't get out on my horse ( another great passion from childhood),  I to am over due for a walk with a favourite piece, as it is coming into winter down under that will be sooner than later. Life is to short if you are not careful.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !