Author Topic: bedding an original  (Read 2154 times)

Offline snapper

bedding an original
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
I just got my new 12 bore rifle yesterday.  Had 3 meetings last night and no time to take any pictures and post yet.

There is a 4 inch long hairline crack in the forearm, in the barrel channel.  The crack does not extend to the outside yet.

I am planing on getting some glue in the crack and also toying with the idea on seeing if I can bed the barrel channel.

I bought this rifle to shoot and want to use it without a lot of fear of more cracking.  I thought it was a round ball rifle, but it looks like it is a faster twist for a conical.

Thoughts?

thanks

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: bedding an original
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:24:01 PM »
We need the photos Snapper, but FWIW, a goodly proportion of 12  bore rifles had fairy fast twist, and didn't use Huge charges.

Most soft -skinned dangerous game rifles were usually set up for ball, as it was a better stopper than a conical.
The favourite rifle of Agnes Herbert was a 12 -bore, throwing 5  1/2 drams (150 grs) of black and a round ball. 

Re the crack, sometimes we see a crack glued and also a thin layer of linen glued inside the channel over the damage,( If it will fit!)

Good luck getting it sorted!
R.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:24:49 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
I would not recommend shooting an original of this heavy caliber. The stress from a small caliber muzzleloader on a stock that is over a hundred years old is likely to do damage. A heavy caliber, shooting a heavy bullet, with a stock that is already compromised, sounds like a good way to turn an antique into junk.

Hungry Horse

westbj2

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:01:47 AM »
Art,
Not likely you can achieve a permanent repair by trying to glue the crack.   Glass bedding in an antique Britt rifle.........Yuck!!!
From your description of the crack, I think a small "dutchman" at each end of the crack may be an option to consider.  Span the bottom 3 flats with a  piece of thickness that will protrude into the ramrod hole slightly and about 2/3 of the way up the quartering flat.  Glue in place and trim inside flush to barrel track.  Drill out ramrod hole to clean up wood protruding inside.
Shape of the dutchman would be something like the image below.

Jim

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:11:11 AM »
Jim,

We always knew these as butterflies.

I am sure they would work.  I have joined worse with them and they have stayed put.
(Breech-loading shotgun stocks broken through the head, for instance.)

Richard.

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 01:56:14 AM »
Jim

I was hoping you would chime in.

Thanks for the advice, just might have to try that.

I have the option of sending it back, but not sure the seller is going to be agreeable.  He did not declare the cracking to me.

Thanks

fleener

Black Hand

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »
I just got my new 12 bore rifle yesterday.  Had 3 meetings last night and no time to take any pictures and post yet.

There is a 4 inch long hairline crack in the forearm, in the barrel channel.  The crack does not extend to the outside yet.

I am planing on getting some glue in the crack and also toying with the idea on seeing if I can bed the barrel channel.

I bought this rifle to shoot and want to use it without a lot of fear of more cracking.  I thought it was a round ball rifle, but it looks like it is a faster twist for a conical.

Thoughts?

thanks

fleener
Clean the crack well (acetone) and glue (wood glue or superglue). You might need to spread the crack or use some air to push the glue into crack. You could use liquid (as opposed to gel) superglue that has been warmed so it flows better.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Art,
     looking forward to some photos of your new rifle.  Are the grooves really wide and ver narrow lands?

cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline snapper

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
should be able to post some pictures this weekend

I have been tied up this week.

Fleener