Author Topic: D. Boone / S. Kenton rifles?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

D. Boone / S. Kenton rifles?
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »
Well after living in this area all my life I finally made it out to Huntington to see the Herman Dean collection. Overall very impressed but somewhat perplexed by the rifles supposed to have belonged to D. Boone and S. Kenton. I am not an expert by any means but Kenton’s gun looks too late (deep curved butt and slim butt stock) and Boone’s looks European?
My favorite was the one in the same case with wooden PB lid labelled transition rifle.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline wildcatter

Re: D. Boone / S. Kenton rifles?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
I don't recall weather or not you can take pictures there, my guess is you can't, but I would love to get some pictures of the rifle you mention with the wood patchbox labeled transitional.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »
I've seen probably a dozen or more old guns with D BOONE scratched into the stock....he owned a lot of guns. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Howard

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 02:59:38 AM »
We have a tree that states DBoone killed a Bar in this tree.  I'm sure it is real.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
They allow non flash photos of permanant displays only. Here are some shots of transitional rifle. Hard to get good ones through glass window.

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Some more, looks like lock might be replacement?

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »
I know it's been said a million times, but if they could only talk!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
They allow non flash photos of permanant displays only. Here are some shots of transitional rifle. Hard to get good ones through glass window.

The Boone rifle has a 51 inch swamped barrel and is not heavy and has seen little use.
It is 45 caliber and the lock is very similar to the current Durs Egg from L&R.I have also
thought it had a European look about it.I have had bothe the Boone and Kenton rifles
out of the case for examination along with a powder horn (Patrick Walsh) for Dresslar's
book.Sharon Cunningham asked me if I could do this and the curator at that time,Louise Polan
was agreeable as was the woman who replaced her,Jean Culligan when I requested the Boone and Kenton rifles.
The Kenton rifle appears to be the same one shown in some older books.
I know for sure that these guns have been on display since 1952 because I was there
when this museum opened on opening day. Partial restoration may have been done on a number of the
guns on display here. Glen Napier did a lot of that sort of work for Herman Dean and when I told him that
I had heard Herman had about 5000 "Kentucky"rifles he said "That is a low number"because he helped
catalog them. Some were incomplete wrecks but were counted as rifles because at one time they were
in use as a survival tool.
The Huntington Museum of Art is a beautiful but under used facility in a beautiful area of Huntington and
is about 15 minutes away from me.

Bob Roller

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
David,

I appreciate you posting these pictures, thank you.

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
Sure makes you wonder what all is still stashed away in various museum vaults, back rooms, basements, and closets...that isn’t deemed “worthy” of display...those lost derelicts could probably fill in a lot of the gaps in our longrifle evolution timeline.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 08:55:45 PM »
WOW, 5000 Kentucky rifles.  Does that beat Kindig?  You know some of us may have a rifle  from that collection and not know it.

A few years back , on our way home from CLA Show, Homerifle, John Reilly & myself stopped by the Huntington Museum.  We had a wonderful time and enjoyed all the rifles & especially the powder horns.  JR had such a great time , he said it was the highlight of our trip. They was a book fair at the museum  that day & we all bought some history books.  Really miss ole JR, he was a walking history book. The man remembered everything he ever read or heard.

For those interested there is a lil paperback book that can sometimes be found online titled  " Herman P. Dean Firearms Collection At The Huntington Galleries".  Published in 1980.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 10:43:06 PM »
Sure makes you wonder what all is still stashed away in various museum vaults, back rooms, basements, and closets...that isn’t deemed “worthy” of display...those lost derelicts could probably fill in a lot of the gaps in our longrifle evolution timeline.

Greg

Over the years researching my Gillespie rifle ancestors I have heard plenty of stories of my dad, brother, uncle (take your pick) has 2 Gillespie's under his bed but will not show them to anyone! Or Aunt, Uncle, cousin (again take your pick, don't want to reveal too much!) has 3 Gillespie's in a false wall in his house and will not talk to me about them much less let me see them. These along with others are true stories I have come across while trying to get family history on my Gillespie gun making family.

I am sure this is not unique to my family, who knows what all is hidden away in old houses only to fall in the hands of non-interested descendants when the owners die. That's exactly how I found my flint Mathew Gillespie rifle. I got an email out of the blue wanting to know if I knew anyone that might be interested in buying a Mathew Gillespie rifle. The person was adopted and his father left him the rifle and he wanted to buy a pick-up truck, I was more than glad to help him out ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 12:10:02 AM »
About forty years ago a family the next town over were remodeling the kitchen in a big old farm house. When the interior wall covering was removed there hung a complete civil war uniform, gun and all the accouterments.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »
Bob, are the 5000 rifles still there or were some of them sold off over the years?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 02:57:54 AM »
About forty years ago a family the next town over were remodeling the kitchen in a big old farm house. When the interior wall covering was removed there hung a complete civil war uniform, gun and all the accouterments.
Robby
When I took down a wall in my place in Fulton Ill. I found an ash tray with 3 cents in it. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 04:26:31 AM »
Dennis that is funny.  I bet you  were  more proud of that truck than he was.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 07:13:58 AM »
WOW, 5000 Kentucky rifles.  Does that beat Kindig? 

I think so, by quite a bit.  I think I read once that Ol' Joe had around 600 longrifles.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »
Well thats more cents than I got Mike. My find was a 1940's 'Life' magazine that the critters had chewed up.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
I owned one of his rifles, a N. Beyer that was fantastic. I think it was number 631, I had a picture of him in his study holding a LeHigh rifle and the Beyer was in a round rack right next to him. Middle rifle, notice the brass button / inventory tag to the rear of the trigger guard.
Buck

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:08:23 PM by Buck »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 09:24:13 PM »
Bob, are the 5000 rifles still there or were some of them sold off over the years?

Not all the 5000 guns were ever displayed but were stored in buildings
owned by Herman Dean.They were sold off after Mr.Deam passed away.
The original display was arranged to trace ignition methods and started
with the hand cannon and ended with the M1 Garand.There was a Merkel
over/under shotgun with documentation of ownership by Herman Goering.
Who he stole it from is unknown. The collection was later revised to what
we see today.I think the revision was in 1972.One of the big wigs got
his shirt in a knot when I pointed out a percussion revolver had all 6 chambers loaded.
I think it was a Pettingill or some other oddity..
Today,in our local paper,the Herald-Dispatch I saw Louise Polans's death notice.
She was the curator that allowed me to get the Patrick Walsh powder horn out
to be photographed fpr Dresslar's book. It had a glass top.Louise was 71,not
exactly an old woman from my point of view.
I must call the new curator and see if I still have that privilege of getting relics
out for study and photography.

Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 04:04:46 PM »
Would be neat to see some of those pieces close up, cheekpiece sides etc.,.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA