Author Topic: Sgt. York Match  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Squirrel pizza

Sgt. York Match
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »
Hey y'all. Just a quick heads up. The snow is supposed to stop and be gone by tomorrow. They're calling for rain Saturday with a day time High of 58, low at night of 39. I know a little weather won't get in the way of a good shoot. Drive safe and I'll see you in Pall Mall.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Sgt. York Match
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:10:23 AM »
 ;) ;)... weather forecasters have been wrong before,.. !!!! ..... Hopeing for sunshine,... !!!  .... Regards,.... C C Fiddler ......

Offline okawbow

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
I’ll be there rain or shine.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »
Well another dingdang year passed without me building a chunk gun or sorting out the chunkiness of my 54...so I won't be coming.

But with my recent sale of property (not closed yet) I should be able to KICK some stuff into gear.  A chunker will be on the list and I cannot wait to start shooting the closest competition I've found-this York match.

Best of weather to you folks.  It's always going to be SQUIRRELY this time of year--but the nastier it is the more meat the flinters take home (at least the match I was there). And it's lovely to see flinters and cappers on the same scoring page and mixed thoroughly.

Short strings to ya.  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »
There are always good chunk guns for sale before the match. Someone could get there on Friday and buy a chunk gun, balls, etc. and compete on Saturday. Usually ball diameter, and load info go with the gun.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 12:30:10 AM »
I will be there with a new Tennessee style percussion gun. It's unfinished and unshot mainly because I ran out of time. I'm going to shoot it anyway. Hopefully I've got the sights "close enough" ;). The barrel is a 1 1/8" .45 Rice 1 in 66 twist. I have some .440, .445, and .451 balls and some.018 Teflon ticking. My powder is goex 3fg....any load suggestions?
This is my 3rd trip to the York and 2nd time to shoot. Whatever happens...rain, shine, or long string...I'm in for the fun!
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 12:43:08 AM »
My 48 caliber likes 120 grains 2F Swiss, a .475 ball, and .018 Teflon patch.

Hessian

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
Been planning on this for a little while. Still have a few things to do to my motorhome and don't get off work till 15:00. It's about 3-4 hours from me and I really don't want to pull in after dark. Don't have a "chunk gun." We might just day trip it Saturday and not shoot. Just check it out.  Decisions decisions!

Offline Dave R

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 06:50:34 PM »
What was the outcome and weather conditions ect at the 2018 York?

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »
I left before the scores were announced but heard that Tom Swigart may have had the shortest string but haven't seen the scores posted anywhere yet.

Unfortunately the forecasters were right, cold rain off and on all day. A lot of shooters chose to stay as dry as possible and not shoot, I was among them. Some tried and had misfire problems and called it quits.

Weather for ducks.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 12:32:38 AM »
I'm terrible with names but the winner had something like a 4.9" string which to my inexperienced self was quite impressive owing to the conditions.

The rain was cold and the mud was slick but I still enjoyed it the comradery. I too chickened out mainly because I came unprepared.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

DICKH

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 02:25:08 AM »
      Was just on The Muzzleloading Target Shooters Forum ,Robin Warner said he would be
posting the York results later this evening.

Richard Henderson

Offline okawbow

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 02:43:23 AM »
It wasn’t all that bad Saturday. I shot the first round, and only had a couple of shots that were affected by the light rain. Winds were a little variable, but I shot a good round with all 10 shots on the scoring area. I ended up in 19th place and took home some flat meat.

I expected the second round to be rained out, but after the first couple practice shots, they were able to complete the round with no rain and very little wind.

The winning string was just under 5”.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 03:25:55 AM »
You did pretty good Okawbow! ;)

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:41:47 AM »
Charlie Bowers won, Tom finished 3rd.

The scores are here: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7ff034_f63fd7ee110d40ba912444f2b993dd67.pdf

Hessian

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 04:42:32 AM »
I got up at 0300 and had a dead vehicle battery. Put the charger on it and got some
sleep. Got up around 0800and it was a holy mess but went to the nearest autoparts and bought a new battery.(old one was 7 years old)
Got stuck in traffic west of knoxville so I figured we wouldn't make it for the shoot.
We were going there anyway. We got there right after they finished the last relay and it was a muddy mess. Got the camper stuck and a kind fella from Ohio drug me back onto the gravel road. Found a local campground and put up there overnight. We've spent the last few days touring around state parks in TN. Just got home and we're gonna be shooting next year! Man that was one big pile of meat!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 01:57:33 AM »
Got some weather last night.

upload photo on website
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:06:03 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V