Author Topic: Having issues knapping chert  (Read 5020 times)

m1garand_man

Re: Having issues knapping chert
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
There are one or two videos showing how you knap spalls for gunflints on youtube. Who knows how much longer they will be up but that's beside the point. My issue is trying to get even the first piece to Spall right off the rock so I can begin forming a core. It's rare they come off long and of they do they are too thick and odd shaped.

I'll try some of my Georgetown flint I found. Maybe I'll have better luck there. I will say that when you do get chert to shape into a usable flint they last a long time. I just replaced one flint after firing nearly 150 shots. The first two knappingslated the majority of the shots then I had to knap every three or so shots and realised it was getting too blunt.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 05:22:52 AM »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 05:04:30 AM »
Most gunflints were (and still are) made using a blade core technique that's actually been around for many tens of thousands of years.  The core is prepared and long narrow blades are stuck from it and then snapped into sections.  Other gunflints were made using spalls - very different and something you typically see on French flints - at least in the 18th century.  As for wearing a dust mask - don't bother.  The only way you'll ever suffer any effects from inhaling the dust (which can lead to a condition called silicosis) is if you're in a confined space working from dusk to dawn for many years.  Safety glasses, $#*! yes.  Gloves - maybe on the hand you're holding the core with but beyond that - uncomfortable and will ruin any control you might have.  Getting cut periodically is all part of the business anyhow.

m1garand_man

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
Do you remeber the title of the book?