Author Topic: Thomas Peden South Carolina Rifle  (Read 2634 times)

dloudin

Thomas Peden South Carolina Rifle
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
Here is another Thomas Peden rifle.  Just finished cleaning up and repairing this early 1800's muzzleloader originally built by Greenville County Gunsmith Thomas Peden whose Gunshop was located along the Reedy River in Greenville County. Thomas Peden was born in Fairview, SC September 11, 1799 died December 20, 1858. This gun is in extremely good condition to be almost 200 years old. Note that it was originally a flintlock converted to cap lock.  Love the curly maple stock it is the epitome of what an vintage rifle stock should look like.

The lock originally a R. Ashmore and Son flintlock was converted to percussion cap.  R. Ashmore is known to have been a gunmaker in London circa 1768-1785, "and son" probably dates around 1800, there were other Ashmores of a later period who made only locks. Note the mounting holes for the frizzen pan, frizzen and spring this lock was originally a flintlock which was converted to cap lock likely sometime prior to the Civil War.  Had to recut the sear notch and make and install brass bushings on pivot points to take up wear.

Note the unusual double set trigger. The rear trigger is spring loaded against the sear to cock the gun you must first set the rear trigger then cock the gun. When the forward trigger is pulled it releases the rear trigger which under spring load trips the sear.

This gun is a 32 Cal Bore the cut rifling is visible in the end view of the barrel note the split hickory ram rod and folks this one shoots.

— in Anderson, South Carolina.

Offline wildcatter

Re: Thomas Peden South Carolina Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:33:44 AM »
Great Rifle! Thanks for sharing! I have a D. Boyd rifle with the exact same side plate. He apprenticed to T. Peden. Thanks for Posting!

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline looper

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:13:08 AM »
Beautiful! Did it have a number engraved on the toe plate, by chance?

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »
That would be my question too Looper.  I think the one that I have has a 4 on it (the toeplate).

James Levy
James Levy

Offline looper

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 11:22:15 PM »
Mine has an 8.