Author Topic: Patchbox - School or Region?  (Read 1920 times)

LOZ

Patchbox - School or Region?
« on: March 26, 2018, 06:29:00 AM »
This is a patchbox, and etc. that I sold years ago. It came from a percussion halfstock that may have been a long rifle earlier in its life and maybe a flintlock. It had double set triggers and a cast butt plate.

My question is; What school or region could this been from?

secure image upload

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Patchbox - School or Region?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
It appears this gun had double boxes. That usually indicates it is percussion i.e. one for patching, and one for caps. That being said, this secondary box is quite large compared to the others i’ve seen, which might indicate it was made to hold extra flints, or cleaning jags. All the guns I have viewed with doubleboxes were Southern made.

Hungry Horse

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
That is probably from one of the West Virginia makers that put an extra patchbox under the cheekpiece. Probably had a Roman nose buttstock. My question is, why are they no longer on the gun?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:26:19 PM »
Probably Jacob, Zebulon,  Otho Sheetz, or one of the Sheetz.   Definitely Hampshire County VA/WV.   Those would look nice in my rifle collection, too bad you don't still have them. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:28:00 PM by Avlrc »

LOZ

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 05:27:03 AM »
Thanks for the info about the capbox. I'm glad someone recognized the region and possibly the builder. The pictures here are of a rifle my Dad made over 30 years ago. It has the buttplate, triggers, the lock, and the trigger guard from the same rifle that the patchbox, capbox and toe plate came from. It is walnut that was from my grandfather's farm.
In the late 1960's was the last time I seen the original rifle and it was in bad shape.  Dad salvaged the parts and kept them until he made this rifle. Dad was an artist all of his life and a woodworker. The rifle reflects his artwork more than copying a certain style or region.

free unlimited image hosting

upload pictures to website

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:13:14 PM »
Any chance dad saved the original old stock?
John
John Robbins

LOZ

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 01:12:10 AM »
And there is the mystery. Dad never threw anything away and I can remember the bare stock laying around for a long time. Then one day he ask me if I had it. We looked all over his workshop and the sheds. Never did see it again. He’s been gone now for a couple of years. We left his workshop alone until we can sort thru it. And the sheds need to be gone thru to make room for hay equipment.
It could still be around but I doubt it.