Author Topic: Contemporary Ohio Halfstock Completed  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Contemporary Ohio Halfstock Completed
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:52:45 AM »
This gun was built to give my son as a hunting rifle, and will be his first sidelock muzzleloader.  As such he wanted it to have percussion ignition,so that is what he got!  Much of the building process was documented in this thread: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=47395.0

This barrel is tapered, 1" to 7/8" in .54 and was made by Webertown Rifle Works.  Vinegaroon stain was used, followed with a wash of LMF maple stain diluted 50% with denatured alcohol.  Finish was  5 or 6 coats of LMF sealer, and about 7 or 8 thin hand rubbed coats of tung oil.  Most of the applications of both had a few drops of LMF maple stain mixed in it.  Barrel bands and signature plate are fine silver, inlays and ramrod pipes are German silver, with the exception of the toeplate and patchbox which are GS and brass mix.  I haven't had a chance the shoot it yet, I am waiting for a break in the rain!

Thanks for taking the time to look! 
Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Contemporary Ohio Halfstock Completed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 07:32:36 AM »
Wow!  I’ve been following along with this build, but this is the first time seeing the whole rifle, and Man, did she turn out nice!  Your son will be tickled...and, I’m available for adoption... :o

Congrats on a great rifle.

Greg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:33:58 AM by g.pennell »
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:25:07 AM »
Curtis,
Wonderful rifle.  Execution is excellent, inlays and engraving I am very jealous of.
Maybe some day.......
In His grip,

Dane

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »
You've out-done yourself.  I agree 100% with Smallpatch.  From a technical perspective, you've hit all of the bases.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 01:22:56 PM »
Really nice Curtis!!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
 Fabulous

Tim

Online snapper

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
Curtis

that  is a rifle that a son can be very proud of that his dad built for him.   Perhaps someday a grandson will fall in love with the rifle his grandpa built for his dad.

Well done!

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Those 1/2 stocks certainly do have a charm all their own and yours is certainly one of them. The workmanship is outstanding and the overall impression is excellence......Fred

n stephenson

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
Curtis, Thanks for taking the time to document this build. I`m sure your family will cherish this one , long after most of us are gone! It is refreshing to see a nicely made half stock. Lord knows the manufacturing companies have butchered them so badly for so long a lot of folks don`t know , how nice they can be. I still like the business like look on your eagles , them bad boys look like they are swooping in on some prey!!! NO WIMPY BIRDS HERE!! :D   .  Very Nicely Done!!!!    Nate

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
Curtis, Outstanding job.  Craftsmanship, fit & finish is inspiring.  I really like the finish, both the color and the glow.  Beautiful gun!!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
Something about those Ohio rifles I really like and yours is a beauty.Thanks for the ride along!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline gusd

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »
Outstanding eagles! love it!!!
Gus

Hemo

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 04:25:42 PM »
Super nice job all around, Curtis! Your lad should be very proud. Halfstock percussion rifles are not generally my cup of beer, but this is a beauty!
That's a rear sight-and-a-half! Did you make that sight yourself?

Gregg

Offline KC

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »
Wow, that sure turned out nice. I enjoyed following along as you built it.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
Curtis,
WOW, that little rifle turned out to be pretty cool!  I love all the little details, the more I look at it the more things I see.  Well done.  Now, what is next?
David

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
I agree with everyone, that is super nice. That rear sight that far back would give me trouble but younger eyes like your son should be able to make them work just fine. Great job, congrats. to you and your son.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 05:15:28 PM »
Beautiful work. Love the eagles.

Best regards
Rolf

Iktomi

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
Just beautiful!

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
Hi Curtis, I agree with all that has been said,and then some !!! Great work and I ,also , love the Eagles..Powerful Totems !! Best regards, Dave  8) 8)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
Wow guys, thanks for all your kind words!  It makes all the work worthwhile.  My son is excited to see it and I hope he likes it as well. 

I must say I was quite intimidated at the thought of trying to engrave the eagles, as it was something well beyond my current skill level.  But the more I thought about it and who it was for I decided what the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained - and I am pleased that they turned out as well as they did and the fact that they can at least be identified as eagles and not chickens!   I hope they will be vigilant & alert, and help my son with his hunts! ;D

Thanks, Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline hudson

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 07:14:55 PM »
Wonderful rifle I agree with all that has been said, thank you for sharing the build.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »
That's a rear sight-and-a-half! Did you make that sight yourself?

Gregg

Gregg, that is a commercial sight from L&R.  I purchased the un-tempered version to make the filing and engraving easier.  The engraving didn't really show in the photos I posted, here is a slightly better look.

That rear sight that far back would give me trouble but younger eyes like your son should be able to make them work just fine.

Smylee, I wold have preferred to move it forward also but it is a very long sight and I placed it as far forward as I could without overly interfering with the carry balance point.

Curtis,
WOW, that little rifle turned out to be pretty cool!  I love all the little details, the more I look at it the more things I see.  Well done.  Now, what is next?
David

David, in between coats of finish I pulled a trade gun out of the corner that I started on a couple years back, and almost have it done.  After that I have an English sporting gun in the works, with interchangeable .62 caliber and 12ga smoothbore.  And a couple of pistols. And......

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:47:59 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »
I've really enjoyed following along on your build Curtis.   The finished rifle reflects the care to detail you employed all the way through the build.  Here's hoping it will always remain in our family...a wonderful legacy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »
Lots to like with this rifle.Nicely done sir,he will be proud for sure

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 06:47:12 AM »
Thanks Taylor and Joe, your comments are truly appreciated!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson