Author Topic: 28 ga Smoothbore Loads?  (Read 2337 times)

Online Jerry

28 ga Smoothbore Loads?
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
Would like some personal load preferences for a 28 ga smoothbore. I prefer to start the ball with my thumb (no short starter). Thanks, Jerry

Offline Silky921

Re: 28 ga Smoothbore Loads?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
In mine, I was recommended to and use 60 grains of 2f ( though I've found 3f worked just fine), over pillow ticking and a .530 ball.

Admittedly , I haven't experimented with different loads much, as that one works great. It shoots right where I want it to at woods walk type yardage.

Haven't shot it enough at 50+ to really know enough to recommend for those distances.

Online Jerry

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
Silky921, Thanks for your load data. With the .530 diameter ball and ticking, do you have to load with a short starter? Have you tried shot? Thanks, Jerry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
Never had an accurate load you could start with your thumb.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
Simple, don’t patch it at all. Simply drop the ball on top of about a hundred grains of 2F, and hold it in place with a piece of old wool blanket with a little bear grease, or venison tallow on it. This is the method used by most native peoples shooting trade guns. IMO, messing around with a tight patched ball in a smoothbore is just plain silly.

Hungry Horse

Offline walt53

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
mine likes 55 to60grns 2f 10thou patch .spit for lube. 55 grns 2f 2 over shot cards 3/4 oz of shot and 1ov powder card and at 25 yds it patterns well and also raises $#*! with a soup can. walt :)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
Even though I've had satisfactory results seating an unpatched ball on top of a felt wad and a card wad to hold the ball in place, the accuracy isn't nearly as good as a patched ball that needs a short starter.  Bare ball loads are easily loaded with a push of the thumb or a finger; but accuracy is seldom as good as a patched ball.  And a patched ball in a smoothbore doesn't have to be tight as in, say, a rifle; just fairly snug. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
 If you lose the card, and jack up the powder charge, the ball will be centered in a cone of hot gas that keeps it from rattling up the bore like a loose cannon. It also limits the balls ability to spin, which ruins accuracy.  The card negates all of this, and increases recoil, with no positive benefit. The recoil will not be bad because the majority of the charge bypasses the ball.

Hungry Horse

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:05:34 AM »
There is a middle ground in loading smoothbores with patches.  While I can't push the patched roundballs I use all the way into the bore with my thumb, I find that I don't need a short starter either.  Just the end of my ramrod is all I ever use with my smoothbores.  Accuracy is fine, and no need for wiping between shots.  Rifling requires extra force to compress the patch and ball into the grooves that isn't needed with a smoothbore.  I'm able to load tight enough, without a short starter.   And more quickly than using wads, cards, or tow.
Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 01:50:17 AM »
Jerry -  if it works for you, do it.

Taylor won the smoothbore event at Hefley last time it was shot, using his Penn. Fowler 20 bore. He shot a near perfect score, think he missed only only target - you try to hit a hanging small diameter chain at 30yards - he did.
You cannot load his combination with your thumb AND you're neigtbour's thumb, no matter how hard you press on them.

.62 cal smoothie, .020" denim patch AND .600" ball.

So - What to do? Use what works for you, or makes you happy.  THAT's the combination for you.

If you think you can win with a loose ball and no patch - go for it.

I will guarantee though, that a thumb-seat or patchless load will not win any smoothbore events at Rendezvous B.C., unless you include shot competitions.

I can load my wads and shot without a starter.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 02:12:49 AM »
He doesn't need a short starter with that load, does he Daryl?  In my 20 gauges his load is similar to what I use, a .600 ball with a patch from .015 to .020... I found .015 loads a little easier and is just as accurate.  And in the smoothbores, while I cannot push the ball in with my thumb, I don't need a short starter either like I would with a rifle...just the ramrod tip.  That was my point.
Jerry

Offline Silky921

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 02:32:28 AM »
Silky921, Thanks for your load data. With the .530 diameter ball and ticking, do you have to load with a short starter? Have you tried shot? Thanks, Jerry

I don't have to use a short starter. Have used shot and gotten good enough results to hunt squirrels.

Online Jerry

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 03:42:44 PM »
Many Thanks, to all, for your excellent input. I have a better idea for round ball or shot combinations. Regards, Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »
He doesn't need a short starter with that load, does he Daryl?  In my 20 gauges his load is similar to what I use, a .600 ball with a patch from .015 to .020... I found .015 loads a little easier and is just as accurate.  And in the smoothbores, while I cannot push the ball in with my thumb, I don't need a short starter either like I would with a rifle...just the ramrod tip.  That was my point.

The .020" and .022" patches we use, are their compressed thickness, Jerry. With a .62 rifle, he uses a .615" ball and .022" patch.  In either gun, a short starter is necessary - you will not shove that in with pressure on a choked-up ram rod.

.600" + .020" + .020" = .640" going into a .620" bore, thus .010" compression of the ball all the way around.
.615" + .022" + .022" = .659" going into a .644" groove diameter, thus .015" divided by 2 = .0075" compression in the bottom of each groove, and .0075 + .012" = .0195" compression on the top of each land.

I think even Arnold, in his prime would have needed a short starter.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:34:38 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
Thanks.  I can see with your patches how it would be necessary.  The material I use must compress down more, and I started using .015 because it seemed to work just as well and loaded easier...shoot all day without wiping, as you say.  Plenty tight, and don't need a starter.  Another factor is how much powder you use.  The comparatively heavy loads you guys use probably require tighter patching than a guy only shooting 70 to 80 grains or so of 3f.

I wanted to point out to the OP Jerry, that there is a middle ground that gets acceptable accuracy for most uses without using a short starter...not so loose that your thumb can push it in the bore, but choking up on your ramrod can press it in.

Jerry

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 12:37:01 AM »
While I don't "need" a short starter with most smoothbore loads and the ramrod can do job, I will nevertheless often use a ss just in consideration of arthritic hands.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline taco650

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »
Maybe this video from duelist1954 (Mike Beliview) will help... he's a member here but can't remember his handle.

Online Jerry

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
Excellent. This video is full of good test results. Thank you for taking the time to document your findings. Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
Interesting video.

This group is self explanatory with the writing on it. Only 28 yards.  Seemed to do quite well with
82gr. 2F and a tightly patched ball, even with the "flier".

The Flint smoothbore I used. I shot benched with front rest, forend held in hand resting on front bag, no rear bag.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:34:03 PM by Daryl »
Daryl