Author Topic: What’s your next Smoothbore ?  (Read 10150 times)

Offline Nessmuck

What’s your next Smoothbore ?
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:23:22 AM »
I only have a 62 cal Tulle Smooth Bore Flintah....But like fly rods, and Straight Razors...I have the itch for another. What Builder and what Smoothy is on you wish list ? I need some ideas and pics would be nice..thanks

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: What’s your next Smoothbore ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 05:27:08 AM »
One like Dave's build would do me.  English sporting gun, mid 18th C Nothing quite as elegant in my eye.  (well up to the 1780's.)
I have a Colerain 16 bore barrel in the rafters, and a couple of original barrels to stock up.  Need a lock or two.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 06:04:06 AM »
Doing one similar to these in 20 ga with a spare .62 rifle barrel.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:07:24 AM by Justin Urbantas »

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 03:47:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I really do like the half stock flint smoothbores. Do the English sporting guns usually have a hooked breech?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I really do like the half stock flint smoothbores. Do the English sporting guns usually have a hooked breech?

Yes Jerry, they do.

Bit more work than a full stock..  buy can be Very Nice as in above photos!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:39:44 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »
Mine will be a 16th Century matchlock!  Who knew?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
I think one like this 11 bore, H. Whal would make for a great hunting smoothbore if jug choked slightly.  In nice SxS would be even better, bls. shortened to about 28" & slightly jug choked both barrels.

upload and resize image site
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:29:21 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »
My NEXT  smoothbore is a .50 cal 50" Getz barrelled JP Beck styled gun.  Going to make it a smoothrifle.  I have the barrel inlet professionally by Jack's Mt. Stocks in Pennsylvania...in a dense hard piece of cherry.

Just finishing up a Chamber's 20 bore fowling piece for a friend up north...film at eleven!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rollingb

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 11:53:45 PM »
I'm waiting on a barrel from Charles Burton so I can finish building a replica of my J. Henry & Son 20 ga. shotgun,....

J. Henry & Son 20 Bore Lock (Picture)
J. Henry & Son 20 Bore Lock (Final Picture)
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:55:39 PM »
Darrel.

Just get it bored right and you don't need jug chokes!    :)  Birds scarce ever escaped at ranges of 40 yards or more. We're doing it wrong, that's why we try and fixum with stuff like jug chokes! 

All the best,

Meself.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 01:51:02 AM »
I got a whole pile of smoothbores to build for folks, several Carolina guns, New England fowling guns, 'Liberty" guns etc. I have two in mind that i'll be doing for my own pleasure inside the next year, more or less. Both Rupps, one with a 48" 22 bore (.60) Paris and sons oct/rnd barrel with supra dupra curly meeble stock and another Rupp on a smaller scale with a plain stock and a Colerain 42" X .50  B weight swamped oct. barrel. That ought to get the Lehigh itchies out of me..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 03:23:42 AM »
I got a whole pile of smoothbores to build for folks, several Carolina guns, New England fowling guns, 'Liberty" guns etc. I have two in mind that i'll be doing for my own pleasure inside the next year, more or less. Both Rupps, one with a 48" 22 bore (.60) Paris and sons oct/rnd barrel with supra dupra curly meeble stock and another Rupp on a smaller scale with a plain stock and a Colerain 42" X .50  B weight swamped oct. barrel. That ought to get the Lehigh itchies out of me..... ;)

Mike....what exactly is a Carolina Gun ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 03:52:06 AM »

Mike....what exactly is a Carolina Gun ?
Early period English trade gun. also named "Type G" by TM Hamilton.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

m1garand_man

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 05:05:32 AM »
As dumb as it might sound to you guys I want a 10ga steel shot capable sxs 10ga caplock with screw in chokes to goose hunt with. I forget who makes them but I know I have seen them for sale.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 02:57:13 PM »
I'm hoping to have my custom Bbl from Charlie Burton by next fall. Gonna try to copy a Simon Lauck smoothbore. In fact, I need to round up everything except the trigger guard.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »
Mike,
It's too late Pal.  You're hopelessly addicted.
Photos are required!!!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Frank

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 07:14:38 AM »
Early English Trade gun.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 01:28:29 AM »
+1 - Early English Trade Gun
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 01:51:27 AM »
Early English Trade gun.

Those the ones with 48 inch barrels ?

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 03:03:49 AM »
I was thinking of 36" - 42".
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »
Pedersolie (sp) used to make a 10 ga. with screw in chokes but I don't know if they still do. I had one and it didn't take long for me to part with it. Too heavy and too much recoil with goose loads. 12 ga. loads were a little better but the thing didn't fit me well and swung like a fence post.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 10:00:51 PM »
I have a .50 cal. 48” barrel I plan to build for myself one of these days, if I ever get around to it. Squirrel gun with shot and deer with round ball. Doug Warren had one at Lex. last year with a 42” barrel he uses when following his squirrel dog. Light and easy to carry. Getting hard for me to see the sights on a rifle.
South Carolina Lowcountry

m1garand_man

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 05:11:45 AM »
Pedersolie (sp) used to make a 10 ga. with screw in chokes but I don't know if they still do. I had one and it didn't take long for me to part with it. Too heavy and too much recoil with goose loads. 12 ga. loads were a little better but the thing didn't fit me well and swung like a fence post.

Seems like all 10ga guns swing like a fence post. It doesn't seem to matter if they are of modern or old design. On the other hand nothing else kills big birds the way 10ga does. It would be cool to be the only guy in the field set to be slaying geese and cranes that way. Too bad the guns are $700 new. That's kind of much for what I would consider to be a novelty  shotgun.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
Next smoothbore will be a 20 ga spec gun based on a Wilson trade gun/cheap fowler illustrated in Of Sorts for Provincials. 46” oct to round barrel, English walnut, serpent sideplate, round faced Chris Evrard-assembled Chambers lock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
My very next project is a European style halfstock, utilizing a tapered lightweight 42" oct. to round Ed Rayle barrel in 24 gage.  Euro walnut stock, brass furniture, compliments to our  own Ron Scott! ;D
Joel Hall