Author Topic: John Sheetz FINITO!  (Read 10470 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
John Sheetz FINITO!
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:39:38 AM »
Finally finished up the Sheetz gun I've been working on. Local grown (Illinois bluff along the Mississippi) walnut stock with some curl and nice and hard. Rice 42" "Southern Classic .50 swamped barrel, RE Davis Late Ketland lock and Davis triggers. Everything that looks silver is sterling, except for the thumbpiece and feather hole inlay which are coin silver. All the nails for the silver inlays are hand wrought coin silver. Almost 2' of silver wire on the cheek side. The whole thing is John Sheetz. The star and wire on the cheek, the patchbox and it's engraving style, the comb inlay, the toe plate and the engraved "spiders", the lock panels and side plate are all J. Sheetz-isms. 13 1/4" pull and weighs right at 7 1/4 lbs.
 Had a great time building this gun. Any and all comments and/or questions are welcome.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:44:39 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: John Sheetz FINITO!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:41:57 AM »

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:44:02 AM »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:45:35 AM »
As always Mike,a nicely made rifle,your subtle aging looks great,a real nice touch

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 12:51:14 AM »
Does that one have a home yet?
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »
The triggerguard, and the layed  back rear trigger are very distinctive. This gun has a lot of very nice features.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 01:41:40 AM »
Does that one have a home yet?
I'm not sure, I got  a guy that wants first chance at it but I haven't heard back from him since I sent him the pics, only been a couple hours though.... I'll keep you posted.
 I put a silver front sight on this one and the rear is 12" from the breech and I can SEE THE SIGHTS! If I didn't have bills to pay I'd keep  this myself. ;)

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
Really nice, I love it! 
Wish I could buy it...

I always enjoy seeing your work, and to see a rifle is doubly nice.

Thanks for showing us, Mike.

Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 05:05:03 PM »
  Mike very nice work ! Really like it. Have only one question. Why did you not engrave anything on the side plate? Is that something Sheets normally did? Just asking. Not an expert on his work just curious.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 05:05:50 PM »
 Very good looking rifle, fit and finish really make it and that shaping at the comb. I got'a ask...the Walnut looks almost grainless, is that because it has a filler on it, as in Black spray paint?

Thanks, Tim

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
Mike, Pack up your stuff, and load your truck. Move South Now!!! Between this one and that Carolina piece , I think you might be a displaced Southerner.  I think your mostly known for spot on early pieces , but man! , you ain`t no slouch , when it comes to these brass box , bells and whistle, pieces. Some one is going to be very happy with this one. Nice Job!!!  Nate

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
Mike,
You would make a great Virginian! Really great rifle, I am afraid to ask the price, the temptation is too great but after thinking about it maybe hearing the price might cool the temptation :)

Nice work.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »
Mike, Pack up your stuff, and load your truck. Move South Now!!! Between this one and that Carolina piece , I think you might be a displaced Southerner.  I think your mostly known for spot on early pieces , but man! , you ain`t no slouch , when it comes to these brass box , bells and whistle, pieces. Some one is going to be very happy with this one. Nice Job!!!  Nate
I’ll have that Carolina gun at the Knoxville show for everyone to play with.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
  Mike very nice work ! Really like it. Have only one question. Why did you not engrave anything on the side plate? Is that something Sheets normally did? Just asking. Not an expert on his work just curious.
"Generally" he didn't engrave the side plate on a gun of this level of decoration. I have seen one that was engraved though.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »
Very good looking rifle, fit and finish really make it and that shaping at the comb. I got'a ask...the Walnut looks almost grainless, is that because it has a filler on it, as in Black spray paint?

Thanks, Tim
Most all of the locally grown walnut is pretty tight grained, and yes any open grain it did have has been filled with finish and black spray paint followed by dark colored Bri Wax.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
Working with these later southern rilfes has been good for me, pushes me past where I'm comfortable. These are far different than the early style guns I've built for so many years. Sharp learning curve!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 02:28:24 AM »
as always Mike. Excellent work
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 03:51:21 AM »
Beautiful work!

Offline johngross

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 04:33:41 AM »
Finally finished up the Sheetz gun I've been working on.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 04:55:20 AM »
Beautiful work, Mike. Sometimes a trip out of our comfort zone is good for us. Thanks for sharing the trip with us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »
He makes nice Golden Age rifles as well. Love the TG and never thought of using it on a Sheetz.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
Really nice work Mike!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
Somebody is going to be really happy with that one!  I like it all
Mike. Great job. God Bless, Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
Very nice rifle Mike!

Nice work on the patch box and stuff. All very clean.  It should make someone a life long friend.
Two thumbs up!

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
really well done, I like it!