Author Topic: O. G. Thayer target rifle  (Read 3293 times)

Cubguy

O. G. Thayer target rifle
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:20:52 AM »
I'm a new member here and I am trying to find out information on Thayer rifles.
I picked up one at the Baltimore show and can't find much on him. Any help will be appreciated.

eddillon

Re: O. G. Thayer target rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 03:04:48 AM »
Worked for Joslyn in Batavia, NY 1860.  Set up shop in Chadon, OH 1861.  Died in Idaho 1894.  Built 1/2 stock rifles.

Cubguy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 06:42:30 AM »
Thank you, all I had found  so far was Thayer, O. G. — Chardon, Ohio. Creedmoor percussion match rifles.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:09:39 AM »
The O is for Orrin.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 10:07:20 PM »
Thank you, all I had found  so far was Thayer, O. G. — Chardon, Ohio. Creedmoor percussion match rifles.

Creedmoor? That indicates a long range rifle.Can you post pictures?? American
long range muzzle loaders are not common and when Creedmoor is mentioned
it usually refers to Sharps and Remington breech loaders and English/Irish
muzzle loaders.

Bob Roller

Cubguy

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 11:40:30 PM »
Here is a picture of the rifle and scope. The scope is also marked O. G. Thayer.
It’s about.46 caliber and weights about 28 lbs.

sorry Picture below
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:55:01 PM by Cubguy »

Cubguy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 11:49:00 PM »
Thanks for for the info Ron! I'm trying to learn all I can about Mr. Thayer.

Here is the picture

http://ibb.co/jT28c7

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:59:35 AM by Cubguy »

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 02:33:38 AM »
Cubguy:
  Nice find.  Is Thayer's name and town/city stamped on the barrel?
Thanks.

Cubguy

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 03:56:53 AM »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »
Cub,
I had one some time ago with a similar back action lock. Seems to me there is an adjustment, trigger or sear, in the lock plate.
Mark
Mark

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 03:01:17 AM »
Nice find.  I live about 5 minutes from where his shop was located on the square in Chardon.  I actually was in the basement of the building back in the 70s where his original tools and equipment were stored.  I have one that has been restored after a fire (probably the same one Mark is referring to) but I have never been able to find another.  There is one and possibly 2 in the Log Cabin Shop collection.  There is some information and pictures in the Ohio books. Your barrel stamp is the same as mine.  I assume the lock is also marked with his stamp.  You will probably find "Remington" on the bottom of the barrel.  Again, nice find, he is the maker I always look for so it's nice to see that there are still some out there. Jack

Cubguy

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
Cub,
I had one some time ago with a similar back action lock. Seems to me there is an adjustment, trigger or sear, in the lock plate.
Mark

Is it the square headed bolt in the pictures below?

http://ibb.co/jDtgzx
http://ibb.co/fG4Mzx
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:06:49 AM by Cubguy »

Cubguy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 06:10:07 AM »
Cool to visit his shop. I’ll look and see if there’s a Remington mark on the barrel.

Nice find.  I live about 5 minutes from where his shop was located on the square in Chardon.  I actually was in the basement of the building back in the 70s where his original tools and equipment were stored.  I have one that has been restored after a fire (probably the same one Mark is referring to) but I have never been able to find another.  There is one and possibly 2 in the Log Cabin Shop collection.  There is some information and pictures in the Ohio books. Your barrel stamp is the same as mine.  I assume the lock is also marked with his stamp.  You will probably find "Remington" on the bottom of the barrel.  Again, nice find, he is the maker I always look for so it's nice to see that there are still some out there. Jack

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 02:37:53 PM »
Cub,
No, it's a small screw to the rear of the hammer. Perhaps Jack can post a picture.
Mark
Mark

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »
From looking at your picture I do not see the sear adjustment screw.  It is tiny and located just behind the hammer and down by the lower edge of the lock plate.  Also, you might want to invest in Vol. II of the Ohio books.  There are 2 pages of information and a few pictures of his guns. One of them looks to be a sister of the one you have but without the scope. Smokinbuck can help you get the book if you are interested.  The individual volumes are very reasonable.  As I said, I have not seen a lot of his guns.  I missed a double shotgun a few years ago by less than an hour when it was sold by an online dealer. It looked to be an import that Thayer had put his name on.  He was quite prolific with 2 employees.  I have seen everything from plain half stocks to very fancy long range target guns.  The high end target guns seemed to be his "thing" and some were quite remarkable.  Your gun probably had a bullet starter or possibly a false muzzle.  If there are several small holes drilled in the muzzle face  and the flats run all the way to the end, it had a false muzzle, if the last couple inches was just turned down to round it had a bullet starter.  Sadly, since I no longer have windows 7 and photobucket I have not posted pictures in a long time.  I do need to get back onboard since I have several guns to submit for the library and it would be nice to be able to post pictures quickly like I used to do.  I will try to get that done soon.  Very cool gun.  Thanks for sharing.  If you ever run across another please let me know.  Thanks, Jack

Cubguy

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 03:16:46 PM »
Jack,
Thanks for the info. I will get in touch with him and order the book. I'm lucky my rifle still has the false muzzle and I'll post a picture over the weekend.
There is a large box of shooting accessories that a friend is bringing to me next month and the bullet starter is in there.

Paul

Cubguy

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 05:06:12 AM »
I finally took some pictures of the false muzzle.

Here is a picture of the scope signed by Mr. Thayer. Did the gunsmiths of that time actually build the scopes or did they buy them?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:52:12 PM by Cubguy »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
Paul,
Is that truly a telescopic sight or is it a tube site? In other words, does it have magnification lens or just pin holes in each end?
Mark
Mark

Cubguy

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
Mark,
I think I used the wrong term it’s probably a tube sight. It has crosshairs but I don’t think it has magnification, I’ll check next time I get it out of the safe.

Paul