Author Topic: ram rod use  (Read 2396 times)

Offline smylee grouch

ram rod use
« on: May 01, 2018, 03:31:43 AM »
With all the talk about ram rods the last week or so I was wondering how most use their rods. Do you pull it out of the thimbles and use the end that was in the bottom of the hole to ram your ball down or do you pull the rod out, reverse it and use the end that was at the end of the muzzle to ram the ball down?

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: ram rod use
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:56:58 AM »
I reverse mine Smylee, as I made the other end thinner for a tow worm to attach.

With a shotgun/fowling piece you have to reverse them, and that's what I started with many moons ago.   Got to be a habit!

Also, if a rod is that thick at the far end, (no taper) it screws up the architecture of the stock...  A rammer thick at the muzzle end and well tapered won't bind either, and is V strong for starting a load.

Best regards,
R.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:59:48 AM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
With all the talk about ram rods the last week or so I was wondering how most use their rods. Do you pull it out of the thimbles and use the end that was in the bottom of the hole to ram your ball down or do you pull the rod out, reverse it and use the end that was at the end of the muzzle to ram the ball down?

This is what I do when loading my rifles and pistols;

pull it out of the thimbles and use the end that was in the bottom of the hole to ram your ball down

Just did this over 20 times yesterday at our Spring Rendezvous club shoot. I don't have a ramrod tip on my ramming end, only on my ramrod end facing the muzzle.

For my smoothbore, I flip the ramrod as I use the brass tamping end for loading.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:29:59 AM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 05:30:43 AM »
I'm no flipper. I was, but as soon as I saw someone load without flipping the stick, I adopted that style for simplicity and less motion in the woods.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 06:33:59 AM »
I ain't a 'flipper'!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
In the woods....I'm a Flipper.  ;)
At the range, my ramrod never sees the thimbles until I'm finished so there's not much added motion in a shooting session.

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
Clearly for fowling pieces, flipping was normal practice, because only one end of the rod is suitable for loading wads.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »
My rods are tapered. Not flipping ain't going to work. 5/16" on the small end (1/4" on small bores) with a brass threaded end and 7/16" bare wood on the upper end.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 06:41:41 PM »
On my rifles no flipping.

With the smoothbore, flip.

My .50 cal. Verner's rod is 1/4" at it's tiny, in the stock end.  I usually carry a range rod with me. This is a rendezvous 'braggin' gun'. If I hunted with it, I would use it's ram rod.

On the other hand, I have a .36 for small game (bunnies here) with a 5/16" rod and for big game, I have a .69. No need to 'tax' the 49" rod on my long, long rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 02:34:37 AM »
I'm with Daryl.  Rifle no flip, smoothies flipped.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
I flip.  But keep a bigger loading/cleaning jag on the big (muzzle) end...other end I put another threaded cap.  Latest build I tapered 3/8-5/16. Shotgun jag on the big end and threaded cap on the small end.  I'm a hunter. Might not look right. Might not be historically accurate. But when I need to pull a load or clean a bore or whatever needs done, I can do it...

At the range, it stays in the pipes and I use my not historically accurate range rod....

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »
I flip.  But keep a bigger loading/cleaning jag on the big (muzzle) end...other end I put another threaded cap.  Latest build I tapered 3/8-5/16. Shotgun jag on the big end and threaded cap on the small end.  I'm a hunter. Might not look right. Might not be historically accurate. But when I need to pull a load or clean a bore or whatever needs done, I can do it...

At the range, it stays in the pipes and I use my not historically accurate range rod....
  That's how I have mine set up , have the jag in the muzzle end little easier to grip onto pulling it out of the pipes

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »
I'm with Daryl.  Rifle no flip, smoothies flipped.

BTW- if shooting patched balls from the smoothbore, I do not flip the rod.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »
On all my rifles the ends have to have a bit of taper in order to fit in the rr hole and not hopelessly jam.  The front end has a tip that will take jags.  So I always flip, even with smoothbores.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.