Author Topic: Full Buckhorn Sights???????  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Skychief

Full Buckhorn Sights???????
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:10:29 AM »
Love them?
Hate them?

Full buck horn sights seem to have a cult following, others say to avoid them like the plague.

I've read where some guys like them for precise  close range shooting, quick medium range shots, using the open area between the horns as a peep, and long range "precision" using the tips of the horns as a reference.

I have a 45 caliber with such a sight, but , haven't shot it much past 60 yards or so.  I plan to stretch the range with it and see what I think

Until then, what do you think of the full buck horns?

Best regards, Skychief

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Full Buckhorn Sights???????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:22:06 AM »
I would think if you use the open "circle" of the buckhorn as a peep sight you might be shooting quite high if you were shooting at "normal" round ball ranges.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »
I would think if you use the open "circle" of the buckhorn as a peep sight you might be shooting quite high if you were shooting at "normal" round ball ranges.

True smylee - IF the notch at the bottom was the proper 25 and 50 yard aiming device.  I have heard of guys who ignor the bottom notch and use the buckhorn's 'aperture' as their main sight for

25/50 yard, and use the top where the tines almost come together as a 100 to 120yard sight.  That is something to consider if your eyes are getting bad.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »
I have 'em on one rifle gun.  I've shot 'em; I like 'em.  You use 'em exactly like Daryl and Skychief said. Effective on a running buck in thick woods.
Although as I get older, I'm getting to realize that "express sights" are mo' bedda.
Just my ha' penny's worth.
Actual mileage may vary.

Johnny

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:35:11 PM »
I had buckhorn sights on a Dixie Tennessee Mountain rifle. I found that they were always catching on the sleeve I carry it in. They also caught the web of my hand whenever I carried it. Tip Curtis replaced the sights and the new ones work fine.
So I'm not a big buckhorn fan.  But these were huge buckhorns, and happened to be right at the balance of the rifle.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 12:45:17 AM »
For those who truly know how to use FULL buckhorn sights, they are excellent and I like them.  But good express sights, round front and shallow "V" rear, is better in woods conditions where close, and/or fast shooting is required, are better all around sights.  That shiny, little ball just seems to "slide" down into that shallow "V".
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 01:13:02 AM »
hanshi and all, can any of you show a picture of an express rear sight?

I know they are shallow Vs, but would like to see what others consider shallow.

I can see how such a sight would be nice in the woods, particularly early and late in the day.

Thanks for any pics, Skychief

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:20 PM »

This is about what I see nowadays, although the target isn't as clear.

The wide shallow V and angled bead works very well in the bush, as you can see. The bead's shine works well

no matter what the rear sight is.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:52:02 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 07:13:05 PM »
I’m sorry but to me there are few things that ruin to graceful line of a nice longrifle faster than a big old set of buckhorn rear sight, and a shark fin front sight. The same goes for the big tall boxy “target sights”.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »
I agree.  Buckhorn sights don't really belong on a longrifle; with the exception of being there to help with the shooters eye issues.  Plains rifles are a natural platform for buckhorns.  On the other hand, express sights might be considered rather "egalitarian".  That is that express sights are probably usable for a good majority of shooters, even those with some eye issues. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:14 AM »
For those who truly know how to use FULL buckhorn sights, they are excellent and I like them.  But good express sights, round front and shallow "V" rear, is better in woods conditions where close, and/or fast shooting is required, are better all around sights.  That shiny, little ball just seems to "slide" down into that shallow "V".

I'm squarely in the Express Sights camp for my own use.  AND I really do not like the appearance of semi or full buckhorns on a rifle-for my idea of aesthetics and functionality in toting the gun.  I have NOT shot with them but that's because I'm not interested, not because I find any fault in that aspect of their function. 

When a big buck charges you with those horns a flashing, you'll like the Express!  :o ;D
Hold to the Wind

Tracker0721

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
Those express sights seem great for the woods! I’m trying buckhorns on my build. We have a mix of open hillside and dense woods so it should be perfect!

Offline Skychief

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 03:15:08 PM »
Thanks much Daryl for posting your great reply.  I see such a set of sights on some of my guns in the future.  Between my passion for hunting and somewhat dimming eyes, I can see their merit!

Best regards, Skychief

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
I like the express sight too, my old eyes seem to find it and find it agreeable. I am curious though, what time period did the 'buckhorn' sight first show up, what geographical area boasts its origin, and what other areas adopted it. I have made them for Ohio guns, they are fun to make, look fitting, and they are nice to look through too, for me anyway.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 03:17:31 AM »
My close vision has pretty much crapped out on me, but with a wide V- there are no multiple 'edges or lines' and no tight fuzzy U or V notch with multiples of lines above the bottom one. 
The front bead is fuzzy as well, but the target for me is sharp due to my distant vision upper lens on my bi-focal spectacles.

The bead is fuzzy, yes - but - I know the ball hits in the middle of that ball of fuz - thus, I am still able to shoot half decently - sometimes. I do not get along with V or U notches, although currently, those the sights on my squirrel rifle, but sometimes they do shoot OK.  I think that is due to some beneficial light conditions that only rarely occur. LOL
 I will have to change them out for wide V and bead some time soon - before I seriously start testing loads in it.  The V  rear and blade front are just too difficult for me to see any more.  If the barrel was 48" long, like on my Verner, I might be able to see the blade. They Verner has wide V and bead already & is fun to shoot.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:17:46 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Skychief

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 04:52:24 AM »
Daryl, can you share where you would buy sights like those mentioned? 

Also what "model" the sights are called.  Perhaps you begin with a blank and file them yourself.  I don't know.

What size bead do you find most useful on say a 30 " and 38" barrel for hunting?

Appreciate your selfless contributions here.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »
The bead on my 31" barrel 14 bore is .067".  The bead on my 48" barreled rifle is .117", not quite 1/8".  Both 'look' similar to my eye.
Both are hand made. I made the .69's bead, while Taylor made the longrifle's bead sight.

Both front sights are made from brass rod soldered onto a base blade, then tapered narrow front, wide back towards the shooter.

Here is the Joseph Lang front sight, made in about 1853 - very similar to mine.  I pretty much copied an original Purdey's front bead,
but my base is a little thicker than it should be.

Rear sights:
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/mk10msr3foldingleavesexprroundbottomesssight.aspx
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Rear_Sights.asp
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/rifle-p3-xl-classic-express-rear-sight-prod9644.aspx - this is on page 43 of 'sights'
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/rifle-p1-xl-rear-sight-prod105997.aspx  - this on page 53 of 'sights'
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/rifle-p2-xl-rear-sight-prod105999.aspx  - this on page 78 of 'sights'

They do not appear to have the same one I bought from them (Brownells) back in 1986 - for $96.00. I only bought the dovetailed insert with standing (fixed) sight with 3 blades.
I have since filed of the standing sight, so there is no rise above the dovetail.  A point blank aim is taken over the folded blades with gives the proper elevation with hunting load so the ball hits right on the bead - at 100 meters. With the plinking load of 3 drams, (82gr.) the poi is on at 25 and 50 yards.
The 3 blades are now filed for 100, 150 and 200yards. With plinking load, they are 50, 100 and 150.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:33:50 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Skychief

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 05:13:32 AM »
Much obliged Daryl.  Thank you.

Skychief.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »
 :)
Daryl

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »
They may not be HC, but I like a flat-top rear blade with a square notch.  A flat topped front blade too.  Too much time shooting modern handguns over the years. 

I haven't seen the advantage to a Buckhorn for my use.  If I was unable to do well with my above setup, I'd get someone to make me a peep sight.

For those who have eyes that are getting worse, here is a tip.  Go to your local store with a yard stick or meter stick.  Find the section with reading glasses.  Try on glasses until you can see the end of stick clearly.  Buy the ones with the lowest magnification that allow you to see the end clearly.  I have a baggie full of reading glasses I take when I go shooting (they don't cost much) .  I can handle just about any length barrel that way, from short handguns to longrifles.  The longrifles need the lowest magnification, and are the easiest to shoot well.  Yes, the target is a little fuzzy, but isn't that what instructors say is correct anyway?   Don't give up on good shooting!  This works for me and I hope it helps others.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
A fellow over on a nitroexpress forum I frequent, sent this sight to a fellow to see if he will duplicate it for him.
I will post the results if/when word comes back. Quite a sight! Standing and 4 leaves.

Daryl

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 10:47:11 PM »
Buckhorn sights?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:30 AM »
Lots of them- have your pick. Track has quite a few as well.

or for really long range shooting with full buckhorn

I can see having this one mounted and sighted to use as a peep sight, then the elevator for longer range, like 100, 150, maybe 200 etc.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:31:22 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 02:12:34 AM »
nice.
Robby
molon labe

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 07:14:24 AM »
Love the leafs, and that's the most interesting buckhorn I've seen.  Thanks D!
Hold to the Wind