Author Topic: slow twist pistol barrel??  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

slow twist pistol barrel??
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
I had an interesting thought today. I know a fast twist barrel is best for a pistol, but I wonder if you had a 6" cut off piece of slow twist rifle barrel (50 cal 1-66 twist)vs a smoothbore barrel for a pistol which would be more accurate, provided you used a tight patched ball and proper sights?  This would be a short barreled overcoat pistol.

Online Hungry Horse

Re: slow twist pistol barrel??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
I don’t know about a .50 cal. with. 1 in 66” twist, but I do know you can make a 1in48” .45 cal. shoot pretty well by increasing the amount of powder you load. I tried on grain per caliber, and found it shot pretty well.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »
I wonder if average shooters can shoot well enough to notice how the bore was finished.

Mr. Hoyt didn't think it'd make a difference...so I went smooth... mainly because shooting a turkey in the face with a shot load sounds fun...and loading a smoothie in the woods will be easier..he said he can rifle it if I decide to....just need time to build it. Lol

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
My .54 cal. pistol has a section of the 66", .530" bore rifle barrel. I use a .526" ball, denim patch and 55gr. 3F. With this load, it kicks pretty good, but also shoots into less than 3" at 50 yards - 2 1/2" is my best 5-shot group.  At 25 yards, it just chews a hole.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
I have an old Jakar .45 cal. belt pistol, with a three digit serial number, that I was given years ago. I have used it as my test  mule for everything from nose cap casting, to wood finishes, barrel crowning, and even sight development. It has pretty good rifling, but it a rifle twist. It shoots so well that more than one person has asked to buy it. I quit loaning it to my shooting buddy, because he kept outshooting me with it.

Hungry Horse

Offline lou helsel

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
 I found that they shoot well with an increased powder charge. If you only shoot a few shots it's OK but for an extended match its pretty hard not to flinch.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 08:44:41 PM »
Lou really has a point there, my plow handled Jakar belt  pistol will roll right back, and stick the hammer spur in your wrist if you don’t pay close attention.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »
This design is a bit easier to shoot with heavy loads, as it rolls back and up.
A saw-handled target type pistol would bite, as HHorse notes.

upload url image
Daryl

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »
Daryl, you misunderstood my reference to a plow handled pistol. The pistol I have is stocked just like yours. Recoil rolls pistol back no matter how you try to hang onto it. A few shots are fine, but on an extended event it will wear you down.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
Gotcha. Mine rocks up like a Walker, but with a bit more movement. I've never been 'caught' by the cock though. :-X
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »
As an aside:  In 2009 Daryl and I went to Dixon's Gunmaker's fair.  On the Firday afternoon prior, we walked past the Getz table and I introduced Daryl to Don.  They shook hands, and Don said, "Now I can see how you start those .69 calibre balls!"
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.