Author Topic: Can this horn be worked?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Mike from OK

Can this horn be worked?
« on: April 04, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »
I have pictures of this horn, but my device isn't cooperating at the moment... I will get the pics up as soon as I can.

Picked up a longhorn horn out at the ranch. It was over 30 inches originally. I cut most of the solid tip off and shortened it at the base end...

17.5" along the outside curve. I successfully drilled a 5/16" hole in the spout end.

The walls of the horn at the base are 1/4" thick or more depending on where you measure.

Obviously it is possible to make a powder horn from it. I guess the question is will I spend the rest of my life working it into a usable horn? I could see hours upon hours upon hours just doing rough shaping.

Mike

Offline Mike from OK

Re: Can this horn be worked?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »
Finally got it to work...

Mike

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
I'm not a horner, but I can't see why you couldn't make a decent powder horn out of that. You would definitely have a lot of filing and scraping to do to thin it down some.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
Therer are lots of better raw horns to make into powder horns, Mike. If it were mine, I'd use the horn for other products, like knife scales and buttons.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 06:14:26 PM »
Therer are lots of better raw horns to make into powder horns, Mike. If it were mine, I'd use the horn for other products, like knife scales and buttons.

I would second that.

Tim C.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »
Thank you folks... I'm of the same mind.

When I saw what I was up against I started having second thoughts.

I set up the lathe yesterday and turned down a few items from the solid tips I had cut off. One was a spout for a horn that I goofed. And I turned a smaller piece down to a ring... mainly just to see if I could do it. Once my wife saw the ring she decided she needs horn jewellery.

So I may cut up that longhorn and set about making bracelets and trinkets and other stuff... Perhaps even some some bands for a banded horn.

I really enjoy turning horn... except for the smell... and taste of horn flour. Lol

Mike

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
I see an excellent candidate horn to make an octagonal horn from. I wish I could find horns that thick.
Psalms 144

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
After having worked a few of my own very marginal horns and reclamation projects, I have come to similar conclusions as those stated.    Although I might have teased my version of a silk purse out of a sows ear, the time invested did not offset the satisfaction gained.  So I now start with a better raw material dairy cow horn from the beginning.  It’s money well spent in my opinion!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
I see an excellent candidate horn to make an octagonal horn from. I wish I could find horns that thick.

I hadn't even considered that. It would take some serious work, perhaps even some mechanical assistance like a bandsaw or belt sander, to reduce rough shaping time. But it might yield some nice results.

I have no money invested in the horns. So any mistakes would only result in lost time.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:59:06 PM by Mike from OK »

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »
I could use a horn like that one was before it was cut. I need some sort of a name plaque for my camper at Friendship, and I've been thinking about a big horn with my last name on it, hanging from the back of the camper. It wouldn't have to BE a powder horn, just LOOK like one.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »
I could use a horn like that one was before it was cut. I need some sort of a name plaque for my camper at Friendship, and I've been thinking about a big horn with my last name on it, hanging from the back of the camper. It wouldn't have to BE a powder horn, just LOOK like one.

Next time I'm out building fence I'll keep an eye out for another horn or two. I found one longhorn skull and pulled the horns off. I know my sister had another one or two that they lost... I'll just have to find out where in the pasture they hauled the carcasses to.

Mike

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »
Keep me in mind too.
Psalms 144