Author Topic: Curl Types  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Ats5331

Curl Types
« on: January 02, 2021, 08:37:09 PM »
Hi all,

Maybe a dumb question, but can someone define/give an example of “bold, wide curl”. I’m curious as to the difference between this and normal curl.

Feel free to post pictures if you have them!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Curl Types
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 10:57:24 PM »
Just a subjective description.  “Bold and Narrow or Bold and Tight” is considered the most desirable by many, and probably commands the higher price if density is equal.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 11:17:51 PM »
This one might be called bolt and tight?

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 11:23:54 PM »
Is this bold and wide?

Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 11:51:41 PM »
I would call the second one "common curl/figure".  I've seen stocks that had significant curl finished in such a way that the curl was not amplified to best advantage.  The boldness of the figure, therefore, is up to the gunmaker...the stock may possess "bold" figure/curl, and not be demonstrated.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:36 PM »
Perhaps a better or more descriptive way to describe curl/figure uses words like the following:  bird's eye, fiddle back, tiger stripe, quilted, flame, etc.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Clint

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 12:17:06 AM »
I have done a lot of work with restoration carpenters in CT and R.I. Lots of resawn wood for interior structures are described be the number of growth rings per inch. Wood like yellow pine are considered to be good for window sash if there are between 9 and 13 rings per inch, less than that and they are work bench legs. Curly maple is such a huge variable that it is hard to classify. Terms like 'grade2' or grade 5' are meaningless unless you handle a lot of wood. Curls per inch gives a better mental picture and the brightness-contrast is largely left to the degree of smoothness and the type of finish. JMHO
Clint

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 05:19:46 AM »
Curl per square inch is interesting! Never heard of it before, but that could be said a lot haha.

Anybody have a wide curl stocked rifle? Would be interested to see a picture!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 05:49:33 AM »
I don't have any pictures of it, but Taylor made a Hawken back in the 70's that had betwen 10 and 12 lines per inch.
This is the rifle, but the grain does not show - a .62 that used a lot of powder.

Found one. This was after he won 27 or 29 events at the Canadian Nationals held in Ontario. The production rifle he is holding, was one of the prizes.

Daryl

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 05:54:55 AM »
The Deringer rifle I made awhile ago had curl that in places reminded me of the edge of a deck of cards.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 06:13:54 AM »
Wow, Rich, you aren’t kidding!

Think that’s a good example of “tight curl”.

Maple is just such an interesting wood to use for stock. Well, actually anything curly is always an eye catcher for me.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »
Years ago, I got a very nice blank from Suzy Biccio when she ran Muzzle-loader supplies in Arkansas.

She termed it a "shell" curl. It's still a blank, waiting for me.
Does anyone have  a photo of a finished stock in what might be termed a "shell" curl?

Offline BarryE

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 06:43:30 PM »
I’d characterize one as wide and the other as tight, but only in general.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 07:12:23 PM »
Years ago, I got a very nice blank from Suzy Biccio when she ran Muzzle-loader supplies in Arkansas.

She termed it a "shell" curl. It's still a blank, waiting for me.
Does anyone have  a photo of a finished stock in what might be termed a "shell" curl?

I believe “shell” is synonymous for Bird’s Eye Maple. Makes for a very unique looking rifle...

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 07:17:52 PM »
Ats,

This blank doesn't look like Birdseye.  I do have an old English sporting gun stocked in birdseye. This is different, as it has waves in it.
I can try and take a picture.

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 07:39:32 PM »
I think another name for shell curl is quilted curl.  It looks like the light reflections on the bottom of a swimming pool when finished.  I've stocked several rifles with this wood, but don't have any pics of them...pre digital.  This type of maple seems much softer and more difficult to finish than any other kind...perhaps this curl is found in soft or silver maple.  I have several blanks in the shop of this wood...I'll plane off a piece and give it a soak with water, just for a better description of the type of curl we're talking about.  It's pretty flamboyant!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »
As far as grades go, I find it much easier to understand percentages of curl shown than any grading system.

Type of curl is whole other thing-and as stated by others has some overlapping terms.

Speaking of LPI of the endgrain, we could also use "stripes per inch" or "curl per foot" maybe to designate narrow or wider spacing of "normal" curl in Maple (and similarly striped woods).

Yes I do see more variation in curl in Red Maple, and some of it very attractive, than in Acer Saccarum, but I've not worked with any yet.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 09:09:40 PM »
Most tight curl I’ve seen on guns - while stunning from 2 or 3’ away, tends to start running together at 6 or 8’ away.  I prefer a little wider curl for this reason.  Looks good up close.  Looks good from 15’ away
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 02:48:19 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 09:16:37 PM »
Hi all,

Maybe a dumb question, but can someone define/give an example of “bold, wide curl”. I’m curious as to the difference between this and normal curl.

Feel free to post pictures if you have them!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

I would consider the curl on this rifle "bold, wide curl".
Phil Meek

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 09:25:34 PM »
Bold wide curl. Sort of flamey. To me  ‘bold’ is a description of how it’s finished.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 10:14:53 PM »
I agree- bold as being VIVID, while soft would be subdued, makes sense, so a matter of finish.
The bottom rifle pictured in Mike's presentation is subdued, while the one in the middle is bold, but wide and kinda quilted.
Daryl

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 10:57:53 PM »
I just a calls em purdy.

-Panzer

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 11:27:21 PM »
       The other factor is chatoyance, a word we learned here a little while ago.   It is the ability of the curl to reflect light when illuminated from different angles etc.   Bob McBride and Mt. Meek's guns shown above are good examples of chatoyance.  A really tight curl 10-12 to the inch does not have as much surface area to reflect light like the wider bold stripe does.  Very refined elegant guns are usually stocked with a tighter curl.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 09:02:12 PM »
I went at my quilted curl maple yesterday aft.  The best it got was sanding with a 60 grit belt.  I stained the wood with tannic acid and ferric nitrate, blushed, burnished with ScotchBrite and oiled with raw linseed oil.  Here's what it looks like...

The second pic is unsanded and with water.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 09:44:39 PM »
Looks incredible, but chippy to work.
Daryl