Author Topic: Shot & Powder snake  (Read 2298 times)

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
Shot & Powder snake
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »
I picked up this shot/powder snake recently and would like to get an estimate on age. The one side appears to have "Pat anted 1886" stamped on it and the other looks to be "? Flask & Co" on it. The stitching in the leather is consistent with a machine I'm assuming. I'm not sure if this helps date it.

I like the looks of it and will likely make one similar for my use.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:23:03 PM by rennikselum »

Offline jaeren

Re: Shot & Powder snake
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
Not sure on date  But both are for shot. One has an english style head and the other is referred  to an irish head. The one with removable cup is the irish head. Most of the irish style are usually missing the shot cup. The shot cup might be a replacement as the release is usually different. If there is a patent date it might give you an idea for date.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:35:37 PM »
Jaeren pretty well has it, Jeff.

Yours may be marked 'American Flask Company"  ?

The English top is slightly later than the "irish".  but both were used from the  18th C  with variations.
The true Irish top does not have the spring -loaded closing device to retain shot when the measure is pulled out. This one you show here is later, but easier  to use.

A powder flask , either copper/brass or leather covered would be used for powder.  Sometimes iron or later, pewter as well. 
There was a also a fad at one time to make powder flasks from coconuts!  Myself, if time is of no account, I like the lovely little 18th C horn flasks.

See below;

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 01:15:29 AM »
I picked up this shot/powder snake recently and would like to get an estimate on age. The one side appears to have "Pat anted 1886" stamped on it and the other looks to be "? Flask & Co" on it. The stitching in the leather is consistent with a machine I'm assuming. I'm not sure if this helps date it.

I like the looks of it and will likely make one similar for my use.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Isn't that Two?

Tim C.

PS: I'd like to see more of that flask in the last post, the one with the rounded tip. Thks, TC

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 04:55:09 AM »
Tim,

Yes it's two separate shot belts, (or snakes) but buckled together.

I'll try and get some photos together  of these old powder flasks.  Might take me a wee while.  Will post separately so as not to mess up this thread.

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »
Thanks for the information. I just assumed that one was for shot and the Irish tip was for powder. Didn't dawn on me that someone just buckled two different shot snakes together.

Jeff

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
I will tell you that nothing works better than a shot snake for hunting with a smoothbore. That being said, and having made several in the past, there are things you must know for the project to be a success. The leather used must be strong but not overly thick, it must also be flexible or it will fail right where the valve fits into the neck of the snake. But, if it’s too stretchy, it will soon either fail, or become so long it isn’t useful.  The snake should not have a large capacity ( it will wear you down, and cause the snake to ultimately fail). The irish valve measures the truest, but there is always the threat of losing the measure ( I put a lanyard on mine). Also the seam on the snake must be welted, glued, and preferable saddle stitched, to deal with the weight of the shot bearing on it all the time. Good luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 11:31:03 PM »
If I may add my ha’ pennies worth
I think the leather is hand-sewn. I enlarged the photos and looks like awl marks to me.
Yes such fine hand work was done in production shops; not perfectly spaced like machine work but very close.
I’ll take the the hand stitching over a machine every time.
So, I believe the stitching will not aid in dating the pieces.
As someone already suggested, a patented date may help narrow down the time frame.