Author Topic: Brooks copy of a John Sheetz rifle for sale  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Brooks copy of a John Sheetz rifle for sale
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:58:56 PM »
Finally finished up the Sheetz gun I've been working on. Local grown (Illinois bluff along the Mississippi) walnut stock with some curl and nice and hard. Rice 42" "Southern Classic .50 swamped barrel, RE Davis Late Ketland lock and Davis triggers. Everything that looks silver is sterling, except for the thumbpiece and feather hole inlay which are coin silver. All the nails for the silver inlays are hand wrought coin silver. Almost 2' of silver wire on the cheek side. The whole thing is John Sheetz. The star and wire on the cheek, the patchbox and it's engraving style, the comb inlay, the toe plate and the engraved "spiders", the lock panels and side plate are all J. Sheetz-isms. 13 1/4" pull and weighs right at 7 1/4 lbs.
$3400

www.fowlingguns.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Brooks copy of a John Sheetz rifle for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:00:17 PM »

www.fowlingguns.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »

www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Angus

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 03:13:18 AM »
Mike,
Nice rifle! Would you engrave the new owner initials in the thumb piece? Of course after you had money in hand and before you shipped it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
Very unique rifle. I donít think I have seen that furniture before, is it peculiar to Sheetz?

Hungry Horse
Yes, very typical for Sheetz. See page 192 in "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850". As well as page 139 in "Gunsmiths of Virginia" by Whisker. Also see pages 70-71,  and page 76  in "Longrifles of Virginia" by Butler and Whisker for more examples of this guard on John Sheetz rifles. I have seen this guard on a rifle by John Crummy and another by Baker as well. Pretty area specific thing.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »
Mike,
Nice rifle! Would you engrave the new owner initials in the thumb piece? Of course after you had money in hand and before you shipped it.
Yes, I'd engrave the thumb piece, no problem. Left it blank as it doesn't have a home yet.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
There are some pre WWII hand guns I'd be interested in doing a partial trade for. PM me for what I'm looking for.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:36 AM »
That's a really good price, Mike. I'm surprised you haven't sold it by now.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
I think everybody is saving their money for the Knoxville show.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 03:43:45 AM »
Will you and the rifle be at the Knoxville show ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 04:19:03 AM »
Will you and the rifle be at the Knoxville show ?
No, can't get that far, my truck is strictly a county cruiser. Never cross the county line. ;)
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 04:50:47 AM »
Well its about four hours for me,but,it's far better than a day at work. I am working on rifle #4, so I go to shows as often as I can to look at originals. I really like that Sheetz rifle,maybe after the show...Mike

Offline alex e.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »
A very sharp looking rifle. :) Someone will give it a good home.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit