Author Topic: frizzen problems  (Read 5027 times)

KenH

Re: frizzen problems
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
Tim - I'll try a slightly longer flint and see what it does.  Perhaps just move the existing flint forward a tad for testing?

HH:  Interesting you should mention the flash hole is too large - I didn't think of that.  I just thought it was convenient it self-primed the pan from the barrel.   I measured the flash hole this morning and it's right about .099", could be .100".  The hole is low enough down the pin gauge hits edge of pan before sliding thru the flash hole, but could tell pretty close the flash hole diameter.  I understand the typical flash hole should  be .060" to .070" range?

How drastic is it for the flash hole to be so large in mostly a "wall hanger" pistol?  This pistol will get shot less than 50 times/yr I'm sure, perhaps less once the new wears off.  As mentioned before, it was purchased to hang in the display case alongside the Bowie shown in photo in first post of thread.  I can't have a gun that can't be fired! 

Thanks again to all for help and guidance.

Ken H>
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:49:33 PM by KenH »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
The touch hole liner thing is a performance issue, and a safety issue. Venting loads of hot gas is hard on gun performance, but it can set off powder containers quite a ways away. A self priming pan, and a lower end quality lock is not a good combination. The lock slipping off half cock while you are loading will not be a good experience.

Hungry Horse

KenH

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 07:24:31 PM »
OK, I can understand that - this venting of gas from barrel on ignition is why it seems there's a lot of flash from the pan when firing.  Is there a reasonable way to make this vent hole smaller?  Perhaps the only way is to remove barrel, drill a tad larger and install a vent liner?  Looks like most require drilling 'n tapping to 1/4"x28.

I might need to install a vent liner to the barrel to get the flash hole down to a reasonable and safe size.

Thanks for the warning.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
If I was going to do it I would chose 1/4x32 and use a white lightning liner.