Author Topic: Clogged file  (Read 2123 times)

Offline WKevinD

Clogged file
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:32:22 AM »
I have a nice sharp file that I usually reserve for draw filing, a 10" US made Nicholson. I used it to clean up a sandcast brass buttplate and managed to clog about 20% of the teeth with brass. I have tried using a carding brush and have made no progress. I should have chalked but the time for that is passed.
Any thoughts? It's still sharp and I can roll little curls when draw filing but I'm still concerned about the brass clogs.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Metalshaper

Re: Clogged file
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:41:54 AM »
I picked up some of the brass things they have laying around gun ranges. Think they are 30-06? I mashed the neck area flat and use that to run through the teeth of the files. After a couple of passes the tooth pattern is cut in and it will easily clean the file.. strips of brass, flattened copper tubing and such have been used by others..

Respect Always
Metalshaper\Jonathan

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 04:42:06 AM »
Put a piece of thin brass (I use a flattened cartridge case) in your vise, and rub the file across it in the direction of the teeth, ie across the file, not along it. Confusing to try and explain, but the brass will conform to the teeth, and remove the chips from between them much better than a file card.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 04:44:51 AM »
My buddy Greg beat me to it, but I use a little different spin, so I'll leave it.

Take spent rifle cartridge case, like a .30-06, flatten the mouth of the case.  Put the flattened case on the file at about a 45 degree angle and push it across the file in the same direction as the teeth of the file.  This will cut teeth into the brass case and push the filings out of your file.

-Ron
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:47:43 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 05:13:37 AM »
Only thing I can add to the above replies, is if you are working on an "English" gun, use a .303 case!  ;) LOL!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:22:13 PM »
Only thing I can add to the above replies, is if you are working on an "English" gun, use a .303 case!  ;) LOL!

Now that right there is funny.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 09:47:28 PM »

LOL - I prefer one of the "express" brass thingies.  This adds a touch of class and value to the tool.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 01:06:35 AM »

.303?? NO WAY,a Kynoch .600 is the thing. It's wider when flattened. ;D

Bob Roller

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 03:15:26 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to go thru my spent brass and find something appropriate. 

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Cuboodle

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 04:05:08 AM »
Place it in the freezer for an hour then card it with the wire brush

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 04:39:19 AM »
Quote;

Bob R,
"303?? NO WAY,a Kynoch .600 is the thing. It's wider when flattened".  So is a cat, Bob!

I think .404 Jeffrey would be better...

Thanks, I'll have to go thru my spent brass and find something appropriate. 

Kevin

Kevin,  LOL!!!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »
Y'all keep me laughing with the "brass thingy from the rifle range"!  And yeah, a .404 Jeffries would be ideal.

I have run into the same problem of soft metals clogging the file teeth.  I get used stainless dental picks from my dentist, and run the tip along the edge of the teeth - across the file.  Gets rid of brass, aluminum, etc., fairly quickly.  I will, however, have to try that trick of freezing the file then carding it!

The picks can also be quite useful in getting rid of dirt from 90 deg corners and other tight places.  Use lightly, so you don't scratch what you are working on.

For me, my 9.3 x 62 mm brass is about as British as I can get.  Well, South African anyway!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »
Copper water line or other such works as well.  Flatten it and let it form itself to the teeth of the file.  No need in using spent unmentionables--those can be packed again.  :o
Hold to the Wind

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 02:01:42 AM »
I have had some luck with a stuby chunk of 3/8 brass rod glued into an antler piece and the other end was filed to an edge. I have used the cartridge brass also and it works good.