Author Topic: spotting scope  (Read 2163 times)

Offline snapper

spotting scope
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this spotting scope?  Leupold GR 10-20x40mm Compact Spotting Scope

Looking for a compact, lightweight, waterproof and fairly inexpensive scope for looking at the score on the targets.

This would be for long range shooting.  I dont need to be able to see the bullet holes, just scoring and hit markers out to 1,000 yards.

I have a few scopes, but looking for one that is easier to fly with.

Thanks

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline kudu

Re: spotting scope
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:05:02 PM »
In my opinion the magnification you listed is too low.
 If you really are and I have no doubt that you are shooting some type of rifle at that distance.
I think the highest magnification you could get would be needed I use 60X to look at 100 yard targets and sometimes have trouble.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »
Twenty, or more, years ago I bought a Bushnell scope that came in a nice rigid carrying case.  Don't have it in front of me right now, but I'm sure it's at least 60X and is adjustable.  I even use it to get a pretty good look at Mars one clear night.  It's pretty large but that shouldn't be an issue for you.  Then, at the range a few years ago another shooter asked me if I wanted a his small adjustable 18X scope and leatherette case/tripod.  I said yes, of course.  He had found another, even smaller scope at Goodwill for $10.  I've used that little gifted scope, almost exclusively, for the past several years to see holes in the targets up to 100 yards.  I agree, a scope of at least 60X would be a better idea.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
In my opinion the magnification you listed is too low.
 If you really are and I have no doubt that you are shooting some type of rifle at that distance.
I think the highest magnification you could get would be needed I use 60X to look at 100 yard targets and sometimes have trouble.

Interesting thoughts as I have a 25X Bushnell spotting scope, made in the 60's that looked old in 1974 as it was mounted on a post at the Barnet Range in Burnaby, B.C.

I got it from a relative, who obtained it when that range closed down in the late 1980's, I think.  At that range, when shooting competition in those early 70's we only shot to 100yards and it was

easy to not only spot holes but also multiples, ie:hole enlargement.  Of course that became quite impossible, somtimes after 3 in the same hole.

I can easily see .224" holes with that spotting scope at 220yards - indeed, did so yesterday at the local club.

Quality of lenses is very much more important than magnification power.

For spotting to 1,000yards, fleener, I'd think something on the 30X, 40X to perhaps even 60X would do, but would need very large, excellent glass lenses (for brightness & clarity) to see well at

long range.  BEST quality glass at 30X to 40X will show holes that 60X in a lower quality scope might not. I would look towards Swarovski glass.

I agree that 10 to 20X is too low, even for larger bullet holes like .45's and .50's.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:07:02 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline J-team

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »
I use a Kowa 60mm with fixed 25x long eye relief eye piece for long range (up to 1000yards).  Long eye relief is good especially if you shoot with glasses.  The Kowa is light but not as small as the 40mm scope you mentioned.  Kowa optics are very good, you would have to go to something like a Leica to beat them and they are expensive!  Don't forget you need to see mirage as well as spotting discs.

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:58:36 AM »
thanks everyone.

Yep, I am shooting a ML out to 1,000 yards.

As I stated I am not needing to see bullet holes.  Only scoring disk and bullet marker disk with this scope. 

With a 10x pair of binos you can see the disk at 1,000 yards.  So, a 10-20X scope will be good.  This scope has a small objective at only 40MM.

I have a down scope for mirage.

As stated, I was looking to see if anyone has used this particular scope, good, bad or indifferent.  I know that it should work for what I want it to do, but I dont want to spend $300 on a piece of junk.  It is waterproof and has good eye relief, very compact, fairly cheap and less than a pound.  Fits most of my criteria.  Plus I only need to see the target with the disk on it.  It does not have to be a very high end scope, and Leopold stands behind their products.

thanks

Fleener

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 04:14:23 AM »
  Fleener you will be surprised how clear that scope is.
Have Leopold on all my newer stuff. Just my $.02
     Oldtravler

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 11:53:21 PM »
I have several Leopold scopes I bought back in the 1970s.  They were/are quality.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 02:26:27 AM »
I don’t have any experience with that particular scope, but I do have a set of recently made Leupold binoculars in the lower price range that are crystal clear.

As far as power, I have a 20x Nikon spotting scope that I’ve used for at least 10 years for BPCR silhouette shooting. I have no problem seeing bullet splash on the rams at 500m, and have absolutely no doubt that I could clearly see the shot spotters used in mid and long range out to 1000 yards...they’re what, 4” in diameter?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:04:45 AM »
I had an 8x42 Leopold binocular that I thought was great but someone else must have thought the same thing.   :'(

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:36:38 AM »
Snapper,

You asked about seeing spotters for Long Range Muzzle Loading, not bullet holes right?

When I do not want to lug my Konus 20-60x80 I use a 8x36 Vortex Monocular. I fit a mount to it by removing the belt clip so I can attach it to a tripod. A handy guy like yourself could make it happen as well. I got pictures if you want.

It is inexpensive, but not cheap. The glass quality is very nice. I have, and do, use it to see spotters at all ranges. I can see the spotters at the Oak Ridge 1000 yard line and the Atterbury 1200 yard line with no issues. I would think the 10x would be just peachy, and wish I had chosen the 10x36 model.

DAve

DAve

Offline snapper

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 03:57:46 AM »
Well I ordered the scope and it was delivered today. 

First impression is WOW it is very small, and I like it.  Threw it on a tripod and tried it out in the low light and I think it will work great for what I want it for.

Perhaps tomorrow I will take a picture of my loading table setup that I have been working.

fleener