Author Topic: Graf powder  (Read 1900 times)

Iktomi

Graf powder
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »
  I just received an order of powder from Graf, and I decided to buy their proprietary brand as it is 3 bucks a pound cheaper than Goex which has been the powder I've used for a number of years. 5# of FF and 5# of FFF. I went out to the range yesterday with the .54 GPR, and I was quite pleased with the powder. Both grains shot noticeably cleaner than the Goex, and *felt* a bit hotter than Goex to boot. Normally, I'd wipe maybe every 3-4 shots with Goex FF, and get 6-7 shots between wipes with FFF. With both grains of Graf powder I got a good 10 shots before loading got a bit stiff, and the fouling that was present seems softer as well. I like the stuff, and will be using it as long as it is available. I used my usual ball/patch/lube combo, but I do think I'll have to spend a little time reworking the loads for it, as my *pet* Goex loads...85 gr. FFF and 105gr FF opened my groups up when shooting the Graf powder. I don't have a chrono, so my impressions are subjective, but it did feel like the loads were hotter than my old ones.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Graf powder
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:17:36 AM »
Rick;

Where did you get the Graf powder? That’s not a brand I’ve seen much of up here in Northern California. It’s mostly Goex, and Swiss, with the guys I shoot with. I live in Lakeport, and am the Vice President of the Konocti Rod and Gun Club. We have sporadic black powder shoots at our range, but are trying to get more folks involved, so we can expand the program.

Hungry Horse
AKA Marty Klier

Iktomi

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:30:12 AM »
Hey Marty, looks like you are just over the hill from me.

I get the Graf powder from Graf & Sons. It's their proprietary brand.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

Iktomi

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »
 I just saw a reference that said Graf powder is Scheutzen sold under Graf's label. I have no idea if this is the case.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:35:44 AM by Iktomi »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:47:21 AM »
Graf & Sons are located in Mexico, Missouri, about half way between St. Louis and Kansas city. Good people to deal with and I've been purchasing powder from them for years.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »
I always thought it was relabeled Wano powder from Germany.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:03 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, at present, the GRAF powder is the German Schuetzen powder under the GRAF label. In the recent past WANO changed the charcoal in the Schuetzen powder which made it faster and cleaner burning.  Due to health problems I passed on taking a close look at what they had done and how it had improved the powder.

Bill K.

Iktomi

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:43:34 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, at present, the GRAF powder is the German Schuetzen powder under the GRAF label. In the recent past WANO changed the charcoal in the Schuetzen powder which made it faster and cleaner burning.  Due to health problems I passed on taking a close look at what they had done and how it had improved the powder.

Bill K.

Whatever it is, it's pretty decent. And the price is agreeable too.