Author Topic: What to do? Keep going?  (Read 2624 times)

leoparddog

What to do? Keep going?
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:38:39 AM »
Last night I did some searching for RR thimbles before I embarked on this part of my first rifle (TVM Late Lancaster kit).  So far so good until I look at the rear of the thimble.  The bottom of the forearm is really pretty flat and while I've eased the corners a bit, I haven't undertaken seriously rounding the bottom of the forearm.

My concern is, can I really inlet this all the way down without burying the front of the thimble deeply into the ram rod channel?
Or do I get the front of the entry thimble where I want it and then let the tail end drop down?  I've been trying to go "straight down" and level so far with my inletting.

Offline Goo

Re: What to do? Keep going?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:00:30 AM »
I dont know what style of gun you are building but If it was mine I would narrow up the tail end of the entry pipe its kind of wide , I think the length is ok.  Lets see what othe people say about it.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

leoparddog

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 05:18:34 AM »
Its a Late Lancaster kit from TVM.  I've already made my initial cuts under the tail for the perimeter, so I'd rather not change the profile/shape of the tail much.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:19:04 AM by leoparddog »

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 05:29:44 AM »
Use a thimble without the tail and inlet it in the proper position then inlet the tail of the entry pipe.

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:58:50 AM »
A second to what Black Hand suggested - inlet one of the other forward thimbles into your entry position first - these kit thimble sets will be almost identical in barrel section.  Once that is in place in letting the skirt of the entry thimble is far less confusing.
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »
Yes, keep going.  You have a ways to go. 
The entry pipe and the buttplate are the most difficult parts to inlet.  You are moving in two directions at once.
Make sure you're inlet properly on the pipe portion.  You'll be surprised how close the tail is. 
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 01:50:34 PM »
      You will likely bend the tail of the entry pipe during inletting, so check it often for alignment.  Make sure that a properly sized and tapered ramrod will insert fully into the stock before drilling any pin holes.  If you insert a ramrod through the entry pipe and then look at the amount of between the rod and the tail of the pipe, it will give you a visual reference as to how much wood is left above the ram rod channel.  It is much thinner than you think.   good luck
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 03:20:39 PM »
I just inlet both the barrel and finial at the same time. As it gets near to final depth, I use a rod size that fits into the bbl ID and keep trying to slide it along the RR groove ......when it goes in smoothly, it's done......Fred

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »
You can use either method mentioned above to inlet the rear entry pipe. I usually inlet one of the forward tailless pipes first, then do the rear pipe tail afterwards. Know this too - when it is time to drill for the pins you will want to gently clamp a pipe to the stock before drilling, this ensures the pipe is fully down, and snug, in the ramrod channel and your pins will hold the pipe firmly in place.

I use a finger drill for the actual drilling, note again, there is only enough clamping force to hold the pipe firmly in place, no more. Without the clamp the pipe may wiggle once you've installed the pins, this is especially annoying on a rear entry pipe.

Go slow but sure...

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
Put a length of metal rod in the thimble to check your depth and to be sure the ramrod will fit without binding.  You can change the curve on the tail if you need to.  Making it a larger radius will make it wider so, it won't mess up your inlet. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
You are doing a good job so far, and you have some nice chisels, I see.  The entry pipe is in all the way where the hole in the tube is flush with the rod grooove, and a ramrod goes smoothly into the rod hole through the pipe.  The tail on the pipe will dictate the roundness/flatness of the forestock...your pipe is fine as is.  Remove wood after the pipe is fully down.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

leoparddog

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 05:13:05 AM »
I posted an update on FB and MeWe but wanted to say thank you here for everyone's patience and guidance.  This forum and all of your talent can be intimidating for a novice.  I may remove some more wood from the bottom and sides of the fore stock but all three thimbles are inlet.  I'll drill and pin them maybe tomorrow or later this week.   

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:13:54 AM by leoparddog »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »
Looking good so far!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
Looking great.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry