Author Topic: Chamber's Late Ketland for a halfstock London fowler???  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Chamber's Late Ketland for a halfstock London fowler???
« on: April 16, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
I was curious if you gents thought Chamber's Late Ketland lock would be appropriate for a London style 1800-1815 period half stock fowler similar to this.

http://www.sitemason.com/page/gBGD96

I have heard nothing but good things about Jim's locks, and would like the finest lock for my personal fowler.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Chamber's Late Ketland for a halfstock London fowler???
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:25 PM »
Justin:  the lock will serve you well.  I think it might be just a tiny bit on the small side, but it would definitely work.  Remember the Kuntz rifle you and I shared on the squirrel trail at Heffley a few years ago?  That has a Chambers' late Ketland lock, and as I recall, neither you nor I missed a target after you started to share my rifle.
I have a 20 gauge Ketland fowler and Jim's lock is practically a dead ringer for the original lock...'cept mine has Ketland engraved on it!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
Hi Justin,
The Chambers lock would work well.  It does not have a stirrup on the tumbler like most better quality locks would have at the time but it functions well and looks good on the outside.  I would cut moldings on the edges of the plate and flint cock to dress it up. Unless you build a lock up from Blackley's or TRS parts your only other choices of that style and size are the Davis Twigg and the L&R Durs Egg.  The current manufactured versions of those locks leave a lot to be desired. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
Justin:  the lock will serve you well.  I think it might be just a tiny bit on the small side, but it would definitely work.  Remember the Kuntz rifle you and I shared on the squirrel trail at Heffley a few years ago?  That has a Chambers' late Ketland lock, and as I recall, neither you nor I missed a target after you started to share my rifle.
I have a 20 gauge Ketland fowler and Jim's lock is practically a dead ringer for the original lock...'cept mine has Ketland engraved on it!

The Chambers late Ketland is I think,the best production lock now available.I have used their
external parts to install my own bench crafted mechanisms in.

Bob Roller