Author Topic: Rifle in the style of John Haga/Hagey Lancaster  (Read 3267 times)

Ionian

Re: Rifle in the style of John Haga/Hagey Lancaster
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »
Beautiful rifle!

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
Another great rifle.  Your man in the moon shows my expression every time I compare my work to yours.  Excellent work, my friend.
Jeff

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »
Mitch,

Beautiful rifle !  As always, I like to canvas the builders of such great firearms about how the wood and metal were finished. ??  Final finish on the wood ?

And I like the bit of a scowl on the moon's face...he looks like he missed the last shot by a half an inch and is determined to do better on the next one.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:01:56 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 10:08:26 PM »
The only thing wrong with it is....it ain't mine!! ;D

I'd like one like that with same length barrel....in .58 caliber. Straight barrel!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 03:54:06 AM »
Beautiful rifle !  As always, I like to canvas the builders of such great firearms about how the wood and metal were finished. ??  Final finish on the wood ?

Dave
I stained the wood with two coats of my homemade Nitrate of iron Stain(this mixture done with wrought Iron),I neutralized with ammonia and then sealed with a coat of seed lac.I tried something new for a top coat.I normally use Tried and True (when I want an amber finish)but the weather has been so bad I knew I could not get it the sunlight I needed to get it to dry properly so I tried a finish from Brownells called Gun Saver.I believe it's tung oil based and amber in color like the Tried and True which I wanted.(Overall I liked the finish It dried hard in 24 hours.To high;light the carving I mulled some burnt umber and lamp black pigment into the finish.

I used Rio Grand's brass black to color the brass.

Mitch