Author Topic: Hand Stamps  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Scota4570

Hand Stamps
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
I want to get a hand stamp made to mark barrels on rifles I make.  IT would say "S. Armstrong".  The font would be old timie , possibly like Hawken used.  I think I want hammer struck.

I also have a hydraulic press with a pressure gauge.  I could rig a dial indicator to watch it go in.  Don't want to crush any barrels though. 

Who custom makes such stamps?   

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Hand Stamps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »
I have been real happy with the personal service I get from Steel Stamps in Bosie, ID.  I am a repeat customer.  https://www.steelstampsinc.com/
David

J.E. Moore

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:15:27 PM »
 I had one made by C&W steel stamps co. www.ringstamps.com. it came fast and was exactly as I had requested, price seemed reasonable too.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:18:02 AM »
I'll call them. 

Should I be shopping a single stamp that I wack with a hammer, or possibly a roll die?  I was thinking of fixing the roll die holder in  the milling machine and moving the barrel with the cross feed. 

Seems like "S. ARMSTRONG" 3/16" high with a hammer  and stamp might be sketchy. 

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 03:51:29 AM »
Scota4570,

I would vote for the rolling die.  It would take a tremendous amount of force to impress the whole stamp with 3/16" high letters all at once without destroying the bore.  Just my thought.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »
I've been working with Infinity stamps.  They don't seem to understand what is needed.  For a roll stamp they quoted $750.  For a plate operated by my a press it was only $150, they felt putting a mandrill in the barrel to prevent distorting the bore was a good solution.

Let me try my question differently,  What do you all use to stamp your name on a barrel? 

The stamp will state, S. ARMSTRONG  SALINAS That could be one or two stamps.  The characters will be 3/32" high.   I said 3/16 before and was wrong.   The font will be like Microsoft engravers MT. 

I'll check other suggested vendors and see. 

Thanks,

Scot

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »
I engrave, not stamp, but if I was making a lot of later guns I would get a stamp.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
What do you all use to stamp your name on a barrel?
Learn to engrave it in script.  Much easier and cheaper.
I've got a whack-a-mole stamp with my last name on it.  It ends up screwing up more than getting it right and ending up having to do a double strike. 
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
I agree with Dave. Some of the original Hawken rifles have mangled stamps, and they had lots of practice.
Andover, Vermont

ddoyle

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
A small intwined FAF/SAS in script appropriate to the period might be more pleasing to the eye then the full text and be more stamp friendly.

Full names when engraved speak to the builders skill and are admirable in perfection (but only because the engraving is  a work of art in it's self) heck  99% of the finest guns made in the world boast only very subtle indication of the builder's identity.  Anything not required detracts from beauty.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
    After building a gun, engraving your name in a nice cartouche seems to be the crowning element of a hand crafted longrifle.  I have always considered stamped names a later and far less elegant way to identify a maker.  A stamped makers name seems to say "manufactured" rather than handmade...but then I am an old curmudgeon   Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard