Author Topic: Flint Table Rifle  (Read 4351 times)

Offline okawbow

Flint Table Rifle
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:59:45 AM »
Hi All.
I started a flint table rifle a few weeks ago, and have it roughed out and functional. I used this gun to practice making a wooden patch box and doing light carving before I try a Golden age style rifle.

The barrel is a Rice match barrel, .54cal., 1 1/8"x 36" straight. The lock is a Chambers, Dale Johnson. I used a single trigger, because I sometimes have trouble with a set trigger, as I have almost no feeling in my trigger finger. The single trigger works great, with a crisp let off and just enough pull I can feel it. I will have a peep sight rear and have the home made post and dot sight installed. Anyone have pictures of a good looking and useful target rear peep?

I didn't try to copy a particular style, just a generic Pennsylvania flint. There is still a lot of fine tuning and scraping left before I finish the gun. I'll probably use an acid type stain and an oil/ varnish finish. I'll probably brown the barrel to cut down on glare, as this will be mainly a table match target rifle. It weighs a little over 12#, but actually points well as an offhand gun, due to the shorter barrel.

Table rifle by okawbow, on Flickr

Untitled by okawbow, on Flickr

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Flint Table Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:29:23 AM »
That’s coming along nicely.
Andover, Vermont

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
Looks great.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »
Please explain the table rifle concept, it's a term I'm not familiar with.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »
    #2 what Mike said  . Oldtravler

Offline okawbow

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
Table shoots are like over the log shoots, except the shooter sits at a table and rests the gun on a pyramid of boards. The range is usually 30 yards, at a shooter supplied spotter target, with an  X target placed under. There are usually 10 - 1 shot matches. Closest to the X wins. Then the total “string” is measured for the 10 shots, and an overall winner declared.

The guns must be under 13# for the open class, and I believe some shoots have a squirrel rifle class under 9# and open sights. The 13# class can use fixed peep sights.

This was started for older shooters who have trouble with the physical effort of chunk gun matches and the peep sights are allowed for older eyes.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »
Oakbow, Are these shoots being held in S. Ill? I am not too far from you, I think. ...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »
Ed, my club will try a table shoot for the first time, on May 6. It’s the Okaw Valley Muzzleloaders about 5 miles north of Ramsey. We shoot the first Sunday of the month. A lot of our members are older, and the table shoots look like a good fit.

Most of the shoots I’ve heard of are held in Kentucky, and Indiana. They are all about a 5 or 6 hour drive from me.
Chuck

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »
How about a picture or two of the table used in these shoots.  Even a sketch or verbal description would help.  Our group is always looking for some new type of match.
Thanks, David.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 05:22:44 PM »
And here I thought I'd see a table with a rifle built into it ... :-[    Or a rifle that folds out into a table ?   ;)   

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »
How about a picture or two of the table used in these shoots.  Even a sketch or verbal description would help.  Our group is always looking for some new type of match.
Thanks, David.

Smokinbuck here on the ALR is involved with that at Friendship I believe and can probably help you out with that request.  Here is the only picture I have of the setup and it doesn't include the whole table.  But basically the table is just a "T" shaped affair with the crossbar piece that holds the wooden pyramid rifle rest supported by two legs and the other end of the board is supported by one leg.  I don't have the dimensions, but I'm pretty sure smokinbuck can help you out there.

Mole Eyes

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline okawbow

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
Another picture from MP Warners site.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 06:07:57 PM »
30 yards, peep sight, from a rest.  Sounds easy, right?  It ain't.  Very competitive and a lot of fun.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »
Reminds me of the old point Hershel did way back yonder with the old fellow shooting on the ironing board.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »
Print!
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »
I can send some pics to someone that can and will post them.
Mark
Mark

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
  Okay I'm going to show my true ignorance.
  Do you take one shot off each position or step? That would be fun!
  Ok now have your fun with my question.   Oldtravler

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 10:50:39 PM »
Hi Mike,

No, you rest your forestock or barrel on whichever step suits you and allows you to comfortably line up your sights on the target.  You take one shot at your target, then wait for the next relay.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
When you have those 10 shot matches do you use a different target for each shot?

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 11:43:34 PM »
Do the table rifles have a flat bottom on the forend or are they rounded?
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 12:36:00 AM »
No can’t blocks or flat fore ends allowed. The rifles should be “regular” hunting or old style target rifles.

As in chunk gun matches; one shot at each X target, that is pinned or stapled under your spotter target. There are normally 3 or 4 warm up shots to see where your group center is going to be for the day, and you set the X scoring target,( which is about 6” square), in the center of your group.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 12:48:02 AM »
  Ron thanks for the info..Mike

Offline Longknife

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:20 AM »
Ed, my club will try a table shoot for the first time, on May 6. It’s the Okaw Valley Muzzleloaders about 5 miles north of Ramsey. We shoot the first Sunday of the month. A lot of our members are older, and the table shoots look like a good fit.

Most of the shoots I’ve heard of are held in Kentucky, and Indiana. They are all about a 5 or 6 hour drive from me.
Chuck

OKAWBOW,,,,,, I have been there but its been a few years. I tried to e-mail Linda Miller but it was returned, who can I contact for info on your club?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:13:51 AM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline okawbow

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 12:04:22 AM »
Here is the rear sight I'm trying. I made it with a slotted windage adjustment and 3 peep holes. It's mounted using the sight slot and a long tang bolt, so I didn't have to make any new holes. If it works, I may try to dress it up a little. The sights brought the total weight to just over 12.5#

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 01:56:40 AM »
Oakabow,
If that rifle shoots as good as it looks you are going to be hard to beat.
Mark
Mark