Author Topic: HF 1803 , fit and handling  (Read 1917 times)

greywuuf

HF 1803 , fit and handling
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:51 AM »
I have been reading about military muskets here and other places, it has been mentioned that several Bess repo's are not particularly true to the originals and also that even the originals were not particularly well fitting or comforatable to shoot. What I am wondering is how close to original is the Pecotonica River HF 1803 precarve....and how the originals were to shoot?....if anyone here has handled one or more.

greywuuf

Re: HF 1803 , fit and handling
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:37:17 AM »
I guess I should have thrown a "for example " in there.  I have heard some complaints about the Bess and was wondering if there are similar issues with the HF.   

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:47:47 AM »
Were the complaints abut shooting them or about the typical fitment of the Italian repros?
Psalms 144

greywuuf

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:00:49 AM »
Both really, apparently the Italian repos took liberty with drop figures and butt height ....and I have heard people say they are hard to get your eye down on .....and because of poor stock design feel much harder shooting than they need to be........I know of NO place here in Alaska I can even see anything other than really ratty native trade guns, much less handle an original..so I am trying to find out as much about the various flint fueled muskets as I can. I have heard mentioned that the 1803 HF exhibits some styling features of the earlier Brithis sporting arms and was just curious if what peoples opinion of the handling / "feel" of them.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:47:45 AM »
Every one has their own opinions so it's best to find out for your self if you can about fit, etc. I have handled several HF repos , most were Italian but one was made from a US kit and none of them inspired me for fit. I am lucky in that I have handled a few British sporting arms and even own one and none of those HF wana bees came close IMHO. If I were to buy a HF I would want to handle it first and shoot it too if possible.

greywuuf

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:52:19 AM »
Thank you for that. Unfortunately ...I doubt I can even find an HF in a museum up here ..  let alone anyplace I can handle one.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
I have shot originals, they don't handle like a British sporting gun, muzzle heavy and clunky. I have watched some people "try" and shoot the Eyetalian repops. They don't work and handle even worse than the originals.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »
I have shot originals, they don't handle like a British sporting gun, muzzle heavy and clunky. I have watched some people "try" and shoot the Eyetalian repops. They don't work and handle even worse than the originals.

I got one of the Eyetalian repops from a well known shop and it
looked OK and the lock produced a spark or two so I then took
it apart and unbreeched it to see what the rifling looked like and
what a surprise awaited me. The three groove rifling ceased to
exist for MIDDLE 6" of the barrel and resumed afterward toward the
muzzle. Also of note was the breech plug fell out after 3 turns,I counted
them.I called the dealer and told him that gun was a trap and should be
sold with lock disabled and recommended it be made into a lamp.
They had several more in stock and sent them back to wherever they
bought them from. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »
Of all the models of the Brown Bess musket, only the Long Land Pattern has a stock architecture that allows one to sight along the barrel.  The second and third model were designed to make that impossible, because the military didn't want their soldiers actually sighting the guns.  They were into volley firing at close range; the military strategy of the day.  Soldiers aiming muskets was a loss of volume of fire. 
this may be part or all supposition on my part, and may or may not have any basis in truth.  I owned Bess I built from Rifle Shoppe parts:  a LLPBB or 1st model, Jordan 1728, and it was delightful to shoot, and deadly.  In a weak moment, I sold it with it's socket bayonette...regretfully.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:36:30 PM »
Hi Greywulf,
The model 1803 was built as a rifle and as such has a more drop than most muskets.  I shot a couple of the Pedersoli repros several years ago and they fit pretty well.  As Taylor wrote, British muskets by the end of the 18th century had pretty straight stocks.  Unfortunately, Pedersoli and Miroku made their repros even straighter.  I could never use one as a shooter because I cannot get my cheek down on the stock.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

greywuuf

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »
Thank you all......I don't actually care much about the quality of the repops as I am not in the market . .  .I am contemplating building a "fantasy" gun .....based on the premise of a chopped surplus gun.....or a " composite " built up parts gun .....I just don't want to start with stock geometry that is horrendous. ....I Like the looks of an 1803 and was considering using a pecotonica river precarve as my basis...