Author Topic: advice on a lock part.  (Read 1140 times)

Offline deepcreekdale

advice on a lock part.
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:46:22 AM »
I always tell myself I am not going to do this anymore, but at a recent show I got snookered into a repair job on a no-name, cheap import flintlock musket. The owner had the mainspring tied to the lock, said it belonged to his father and he wanted the spring put back in, not for shooting but just for display. Feeling weak I agreed. Of course the problem was the mainspring stirrup to the tumbler was broken. %@*#! I can't imagine this monster could ever fire as the lock parts are so rough and crude. Not to mention, the mainspring, which is some weird sort of back action deal and also serves as the sear spring was strong enough for a locomotive. Made one stirrup, with music wire pins which promptly broke where the metal was thinnest around the pins when cocked.  I then made a one piece stirrup out of O1 steel. I ground down the mainspring to manageable strength but should I leave the O1 as is or is it better to heat it, oil quench, then temper to make it stronger.  I promise I will never accept another job like this.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

ddoyle

Re: advice on a lock part.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:24:56 AM »
A musket that is not going to be fired does not need a mainspring. Might be best to hand the whole thing back with an 4-40 screw in the vent and the tumbler soldered at half cock. Give it nice wipe with furniture polish to show respect. If he complains he is a liar.

IIRC Bob Roller said he does not heat treat stirrups.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:00:28 AM »
Having been there and done that, I now give a price which includes a replacement lock , when asked to repair a junk piece. That usually cures the "sentimental " reason they want it fixed.  I just got tired of reworking Pedersoli, CVA , and India import locks. You've done what was asked, so I'd stop while you're ahead.  Get it out of your shop ASAP  :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
A musket that is not going to be fired does not need a mainspring. Might be best to hand the whole thing back with an 4-40 screw in the vent and the tumbler soldered at half cock. Give it nice wipe with furniture polish to show respect. If he complains he is a liar.

IIRC Bob Roller said he does not heat treat stirrups.

You're right. There is no need to harden or do anything else to a stirrup beyond a
light polish.I have never heard of one breaking.Repairing locks is nothing I will
do unless it's one I made that failed for no apparent reason.

Bob Roller

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
Thanks Bob. that is what I did, seems to be holding up OK. I lightened the spring up a bit so at least it is possible to bring it to full cock, I think the customer just wanted it put back into the shape is was when his father had it. It is not worth anything except to him. It was probably built and meant to be a wall hanger anyway. When I agreed to take the job, I thought all I would have to do would be reinstall the mainspring. like I said, I knew better, I just felt sorry for the guy
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt