Author Topic: Mike Brooks Gun #29  (Read 4287 times)

Offline JEH

Mike Brooks Gun #29
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:38 AM »
Guess this goes out to Mr. Brooks if he sees it. Or if anyone else that has handled it or owned it over the years. Its #29, lot of Virginia as well as fowler influence. 44 inch octagon to round 54 caliber. Dark walnut stocked. Brass furniture and a silver thumb plate engraved with the initials ML. Ive had it 12 or so years and curious about its birthdate. It has the look of a well cared for original now. Any way, its still in Illinois. Any info would be appreciated.

Jeff

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
Re: Mike Brooks Gun #29
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:40 AM »
Jeff A few pictures would help alot.Curt

Offline JEH

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:39:00 AM »
If I can figure out how to do so I will. I'm a flintlock shooting, non techno, backwoods, bourbon sipping farmer type. But I love the long guns! ill see what I can do. Thanks Curt

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:41:33 AM »
JEH 
   Send them to me and I will post them for you .Curt   clram@bnin.net

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:15:31 PM »
Guess this goes out to Mr. Brooks if he sees it. Or if anyone else that has handled it or owned it over the years. Its #29, lot of Virginia as well as fowler influence. 44 inch octagon to round 54 caliber. Dark walnut stocked. Brass furniture and a silver thumb plate engraved with the initials ML. Ive had it 12 or so years and curious about its birthdate. It has the look of a well cared for original now. Any way, its still in Illinois. Any info would be appreciated.

Jeff
It was built in the late 80's when I lived in Fulton Illinois. I don't recall  the particular gun, I'd have to see pictures.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:32 AM »

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:43:29 AM by Curt Lyles »

Offline JEH

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 03:30:14 AM »
Thanks for helping me out Curt! Hope this jogs some memories Mike. This was the first I acquired in a growing collection after I admitted my gun building skills were sub par to the guys that know how to do them!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:25:35 AM »
I believe I built that gun for Mark Lewis. I think he lived in KY or TN.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JEH

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:41 AM »
Thanks Mike. I bought it several years ago in Minnesota. Back in Illinois now. Amazing how they travel but good work is always admired! Have always been a fan of your work.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
Thanks Mike. I bought it several years ago in Minnesota. Back in Illinois now. Amazing how they travel but good work is always admired! Have always been a fan of your work.
I looked back in my records yesterday but they start at #31. Seeing the pictures jogged my memory, plus the initials.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »
   Sure would like to find one of Mike's guns in my pocket book range. That the kid's don't keep emptying !   Lol.  Oldtravler

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 09:37:18 PM »
My, that fine rifle is a real heart breaker.  :'(
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline JEH

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 03:51:24 AM »
By the way Mr. Brooks. I see you have gun No. 359 listed on here for sale. A lot of filing and fitting from my No.29! I applaud your effort! I'm sure you have some happy owners out there! Including myself.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
By the way Mr. Brooks. I see you have gun No. 359 listed on here for sale. A lot of filing and fitting from my No.29! I applaud your effort! I'm sure you have some happy owners out there! Including myself.
Yep, #29 is way back in the dark ages! I had just learned how to engrave just a couple years before I built it.