Author Topic: Heating and bending a wax cast trigger  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Terry Reynolds

Heating and bending a wax cast trigger
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:55:03 AM »
Trigger is to long for the bow on the trigger guard I’m using for my youth .40 caliber rifle. Didn’t want to cut the curl off to get it to fit and was thinking about heating it and try to curl it on around more. Can a wax casting be done that why?

Thanks

Tried to load a pic of trigger but keep getting a error. It’s a Lancaster style trigger.
aka “digger658”

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Heating and bending a wax cast trigger
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:19:14 AM »
Sure.  Put it in the vise. heat the curl til it glows, and tap it with a hammer and it'll roll right up, assuming you tap it in the right direction.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »
I've never had to bend a wax cast trigger that's part of a parts set. For the Bucks County LRs, I make the curled triggers and the one shown would  shorten up a trigger a lot.

Clamp the trigger plate in a vise and heat the trigger until red and then wrap the trigger around a rod and it's mostly formed. The curl was then finished up by bending cold.......Fred

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »
This is a simple trigger, not a set trigger, I assume. If it is not a set trigger what has been recommended will work nicely.

Hungry Horse

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
 If it is brass don't try and bend it when hot. Anneal it and bend it cold. If it is steel bend it hot. If it is bronze it will probably break no matter what.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:21:44 AM »
Many foundries at a percent or two of lead to their brass or bronze castings to make them sound.

California, where for some reason they don't like to drink lead, prohibits this for plumbing fixtures.

Ho hum.

Except if you heat such brass nice & hot to bend it that lead, which exists as small particles, melts. The molten lead runs between the crystal boundaries & your brass guard behaves like lead.

It likely cracks or crumbles.

Best to bend cold, or anneal, cool then bend.

Your P.I.T.A. Metallurgist

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 05:34:29 PM »
Pretty sure he is talking about a steel trigger, not a brass trigger guard.

Yes, you can bend steel when red hot.

No, you don’t bend brass hot. Bend it cold after annealing.

Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA