Author Topic: First Rifle Complete  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
First Rifle Complete
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »
I have finally finished my first build! I have learned a lot along the way and am looking forward to get started on number two. I could not have gotten through the build process without the help from the all of you on the ALR!....Thank You! This rifle is based loosely on a Dickert style rifle. I was not attempting to duplicate any particular rifle, but using for a reference. The sugar maple stock is sourced from Dunlap's, The barrel is a Rice Match grade .40 cal. x 44" x 7/8", Chambers Golden age lock, and Davis set triggers. If I remember correctly I sourced the brass from Knob Mountain. I do plan to do engraving at some point, but I need to learn how first. ::) Hopefully with Shippers book and lots of practice I can accomplish what I am after. I look forward to any comments from you all that will help me improve my work. I know I made a few mistakes but also learned from them. Until I find a new image hosting site other than the photobucket This link to google photos will have to do. And I realize the rear sight is on backwards in the photos. I already corrected it. ;D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3eAAslvA1SEBJLMa2

Thanks
Brian
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:18:07 PM by melsdad »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Bill Raby

Re: First Rifle Complete
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »
Not bad at all.

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:44 PM »
Dang that is something to be proud of. Enjoyable rifle to look at, wish I had your courage. 

Are the patch box screws temporary ones?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:59:30 PM »
For a first rifle you did a great job. Now turn that rear sight around and go out and shoot it.  :)

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
That is a good job for anyones first build.
Couple suggestions for the next on, turn the back sight around.
Also the stock is pretty flat ahead of the lock panel. The rest looks to be nicely rounded and that should be also.
But no matter, still a nice rifle especially for a first build

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
Melsdad:  remarkable work for a first time rifle.  A couple of remarks aimed at an even better second one...

Yes, the rear sight is mounted backwards.  But more important, your forestock just forward of the lock panel is very slab-sided, and should be much more rounded.  This starts right at the middle of the bottom of your lower forestock and should be rounded up to about the half way point on the side, and then diminish again until it comes practically to a knife edge at the barrel channel.  Again, I emphasize that this is constructive critique only.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »
Dang that is something to be proud of. Enjoyable rifle to look at, wish I had your courage. 

Are the patch box screws temporary ones?

These are the screws that came with the patch box, but I am not happy with them. I do plan to change them.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 03:21:59 AM »
For a first rifle you did a great job. Now turn that rear sight around and go out and shoot it.  :)

Thanks! Yes as stated the sight has already been fixed.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 03:25:26 AM »
That is a good job for anyones first build.
Couple suggestions for the next on, turn the back sight around.
Also the stock is pretty flat ahead of the lock panel. The rest looks to be nicely rounded and that should be also.
But no matter, still a nice rifle especially for a first build

The reason for the fore stock shape is my own fault. I short changed myself when I rough cut the stock on the band saw and didn't leave enough wood to work with. I did what I could with what I had left. And the sight was fixed after the pictures.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 03:30:13 AM »
Melsdad:  remarkable work for a first time rifle.  A couple of remarks aimed at an even better second one...

Yes, the rear sight is mounted backwards.  But more important, your forestock just forward of the lock panel is very slab-sided, and should be much more rounded.  This starts right at the middle of the bottom of your lower forestock and should be rounded up to about the half way point on the side, and then diminish again until it comes practically to a knife edge at the barrel channel.  Again, I emphasize that this is constructive critique only.

Thank You Taylor! The forestock was my own fault and I know what I did wrong. I explained in a previous post. This is one of the parts of the rifle that has bothered me the most from an architectural stand point.

Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:43:22 AM »
I am no expert, but the rifle looks really nice for a first build.

Now, I'll stir the pot...

I am a woodworker, and we clock our screws. 

Do rifle makers, as a rule, clock their screws?

I have seen some that did, but it seems like more that don't.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
Depends on how much of a perfectionist the builder is :)
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »
Don't beat yourself up over that stock shape.  That's a hard thing to see as you shape the stock.  It's hard to tell from the photos but the stock seems to look fine on out the barrel length?  If the stock was sawed parallel the full length back to the lock area perhaps you can still do something to improve that forearm area.  You would have to re-do the finish on the entire stock no doubt but if it helped it would be worth it.  That rifle is a very nice job otherwise.
When I have a project that has a problem and it is sitting in the corner near completed, it drives me nuts and I just have to get it out and fix it before I can tolerate it.  It is a terrible curse.
I think you can improve that look.

n stephenson

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
Very nice job!!   Like others have pointed out , a couple of minor things , sight , forearm. And , you have already fixed the sight .  I am impressed by your very nice inletting and overall clean work. I like the fact that you carved it!!  Good Job!!   Now , get to "scratchin" on that patch  box  ;) ;D.    .   What`s next?        Nate

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »
Don't beat yourself up over that stock shape.  That's a hard thing to see as you shape the stock.  It's hard to tell from the photos but the stock seems to look fine on out the barrel length?  If the stock was sawed parallel the full length back to the lock area perhaps you can still do something to improve that forearm area.  You would have to re-do the finish on the entire stock no doubt but if it helped it would be worth it.  That rifle is a very nice job otherwise.
When I have a project that has a problem and it is sitting in the corner near completed, it drives me nuts and I just have to get it out and fix it before I can tolerate it.  It is a terrible curse.
I think you can improve that look.

Thank You Bigmon! I have accepted the stock as, it is what it is at this point since this was my rifle to begin learning on.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »
Very nice job!!   Like others have pointed out , a couple of minor things , sight , forearm. And , you have already fixed the sight .  I am impressed by your very nice inletting and overall clean work. I like the fact that you carved it!!  Good Job!!   Now , get to "scratchin" on that patch  box  ;) ;D.    .   What`s next?        Nate

Thank You for the compliments on inletting. Overall I am happy with how the rifle turned out and only hope to improve from here. Engraving may be awhile yet need to get proficient before I scratch on the real thing. As far as what is next. I plan to build a 16 gage smooth rifle. I recently bought a Colerain Octagon to round barrel and am on the wait list for a lock from Chris Evrard. I may try to go to Dixon's this year and purchase the rest of the parts for my build.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »
I’ve been following along with this rifle on instagram...looks like it came out pretty nice!  A lot nicer than my first  :o...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »
I’ve been following along with this rifle on instagram...looks like it came out pretty nice!  A lot nicer than my first  :o...

Greg

Thanks Greg! I'm happy with how it turned out. You do some fine work yourself also.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Willbarq

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 04:37:07 AM »
Thats super! You should definitely keep going and not limit yourself to a certain number of guns built. This group here is small in numbers but mighty in talent!

Iktomi

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 07:36:57 AM »
I think it looks pretty darn good :) If my first real build comes out as well, I'll be delighted.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »
Good looking first build. 
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advise, compliments, and encouragement for future builds. I have taken my rifle to a few shoots since I completed it and have gotten some good reviews and advice from other builders. I definitely got the bug to build more!
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 01:45:11 AM »
I am no expert, but the rifle looks really nice for a first build.

Now, I'll stir the pot...

I am a woodworker, and we clock our screws. 

Do rifle makers, as a rule, clock their screws?

I have seen some that did, but it seems like more that don't.

Some  do clock them, many do not.  I try to do that on my builds, whether it is a kitchen table, a rocking horse, or a rifle.  Just takes a wee bit of using that counter-sink.  And if it is a pan-head screw, I can turn a small amount off the underside of the head.  Sometimes, less than half a thousandth will do it.  Minor little things, but make any project look professionally done.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.