Author Topic: My Virginia flintlock rifle  (Read 1867 times)

m1garand_man

My Virginia flintlock rifle
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:18:01 AM »
So I have been talking about it so much and figured I'd post some pictures to share with your guys. It was made by Tim Brown. I do not have much information on him as a builder but as far as I have delved into it this rifle is period correct for a  pre Rev War rifle. It now wears a different front sight but the rifle shoot allright now and is a beauty to behold. I was surprised that it gets more attention at the range than even any of my class 3 stuff which cost quite a bit more. I never figured the average lay person would even care about such rifles.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:18:54 AM by m1garand_man »

Offline stubshaft

Re: My Virginia flintlock rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
She is a beauty!
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

m1garand_man

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:41:26 PM »
Thank you,

Does anyone know anything about Tim Brown?

Iktomi

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
That's a mighty fine looking rifle. Do you know when it was built?

m1garand_man

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »
According to the date on the barrel it was made no earlier than 2003. I'm the second owner so I don't know much more than it has a Rice barrel, and a chambers early colonial lock with rain guard. It's a heck of a fire spitting lock. I rarely have a miss fire and when I do I know immediately it's because my flint is dull.

Not sure who built the trigger or brass bits.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 10:52:23 PM »
"Beautiful" is something of an understatement; I love it.  I have a smoothbore with a Chambers Colonial Va lock; and yes, those things can singe yer hair!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

m1garand_man

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 05:39:38 AM »
I have never seen another rifle with engraving on the muzzle. To be honest that and the round bottom rifling was what sold me on the rifle. It's the small touches I really love on hand built things. They don't need to be fancy but a attention to little details go a long way.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
M1 - your crown's radius is quite generous. If what I see in an enlarged picture is accurate, that inner edge might be where 'some' cutting can happen. It is is slightly "broken" with emery and your thumb, especially on the lands, cuts should stop and starting the ball will also become easier.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

m1garand_man

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 08:30:01 PM »
It is a very generous crown. It can make centering a ball on a patch a little more challenging than it could be but I like it if anything for the look. The transition edge between the crown and the rifling is not Sharp at all and with patches of optimal thickness and diameter I found the tearing doesn't occur.