Author Topic: Question. New flint when hunting  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Doc

Question. New flint when hunting
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
Have been reading a bit and hit a question that I wanted the opinions of others.  I install a new flint, check it a few times to see if it sparks nicely, check that it is still tight, then go hunting. I have read in a couple of different places online that they don't recommend testing, as it takes some of the edge off.  Fresh flint and go.

Thoughts?  I know each drop of the flint removes some of the sharp edge, but I am a tester, at least once or twice.

Doc

Offline Don Steele

Re: Question. New flint when hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »
It’s my opinion that if a couple of snaps of a new flint before hunting  creates an issue there are some real problems with the lock/rock beyond normal wear.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:17 PM »
 Doc;

I do hope you’re kidding. I have had top quality flints that for some reason did’nt make fire worth a darned. I have also had flints that do to the angle put all the fire where the priming wasn’t. The only way to be sure of flawless performance is to try it. Not ten time mind you, just once or twice.

Hungry Horse

Offline Doc

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
HH,

No, that was the reason I was posting.  Don't have the articles, or I would reference them, just stumbled on that little gem of logic while sitting in the airport traveling and wanted to get some opinions. 

I am quite sure I need to change flints more often than I do, as I am generally a cheap rascal, but I have never had issues with snapping a lock a few times before hitting the squirrel woods.

Doc

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Test it.  A good flint will probably go 20 hammer falls without needing sharpening.  You want to be sure it will spark.  I have had flints go up to about 100 hammer falls, with sharpening.  Whoever says don't test a flint hasn't used a flintlock enough to know the need to make sure it works right.
Herb

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:27 PM »
once in great a while a new great looking flint will shatter the first time. I use a new one and try it several times.

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
I use the same flint that is allready in the gun. I do test it to make shure it is still sparking good. If it is working it don't need fixin.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:29 PM »
It's been my habit to put a fresh flint in the lock come hunting season, and snap it a couple of times.  During the rest of the year I use the flint, knapp it until it absolutely, positively will not make a spark; yeah, I'm tight, frugal, whatever.  Doesn't matter if the original flint in the lock is almost or basically new; it gets replaced for hunting season.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 10:11:04 PM »
Hanshi,

Can you send me all your old flints?   ;)

Just kidding.
Yes, if a lock is only going to produce a spark or two, it's not worth a lot.  A good lock and flint shouldn't need much of anything for a good few shots.

(between 25 and 90 seems average LOL!)
 The Chambers R-Faced and early Ketland just keep going, and never really knap them. just change when worn down to nothing.  Did a 40-odd shot trail walk with the flint that had been in the gun for I don't know how long.  Didn't miss a beat.

Best,
R.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 10:49:10 PM »
As primarily being a deer hunter, I start each season with a new flint, and of course I check it a time or two, or three just to be sure.
After that the hammer may fall several times and usually the season is over.  Usually, not always. But I cannot remember ever having to install a second new flint.
Then I will use that flint far into the clubs once a month primitive shoots of approx. 12 shots each shoot.  Sometimes the flint will last until the next hunting season with some sharpening.
And here is a question for those who know....
Usually if I seem to be loosing my spark I just open my frizzen about a quarter way, cock and pull the trigger. (gun unloaded)  This seems to really sharpen the flint.  I have often wondered though if I might be damaging the lock, though never seems to.
It is a nasty collision, but never fails to sharpen the flint

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:29 AM »
I pull the cock back slightly and use the bottom edge of the frizzen to pressure flake the flint.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »
    Be sure to extend your flint leather out to the tip of the flint and it will keep the frizzen from beating up the flint,and you will be able to see if you are getting any frizzen rebound.

m1garand_man

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
It's been my habit to put a fresh flint in the lock come hunting season, and snap it a couple of times.  During the rest of the year I use the flint, knapp it until it absolutely, positively will not make a spark; yeah, I'm tight, frugal, whatever.  Doesn't matter if the original flint in the lock is almost or basically new; it gets replaced for hunting season.

No harm in that. I reknap all my flints that I knap from chert rocks at home. It's not about being frugal. It takes me so long at this point to get a usable flint made from scratch that I want to keep using it until it's done.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 03:43:41 AM »
When I need a new flint for hunting I go through all my flints and pick one I like. Flat on top, not too thin, not overly thick, no visible flaws. Then I put it in the jaws and knap it razor sharp, then hold the hammer against the frizzen so I can get it straight with the frizzen face and maybe find any high points that need removing. After tightening I test it a couple of times for spark and integrity. If it passes I will use that flint all season. At the end of the season I pull that flint and wrap it in tape and paper identifying what it is. The next season I install that same flint back in the lock and use it all season. A good hunting flint can last a long time like this.
I have plenty of "not so perfect flints" I use for general shooting, no need to use a good one.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »
"Dry firing" a new flint once or twice should nap/sharpen it.  I usually do this. I most certainly would do this if going hunting with it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:41:03 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
I've had flints that self knapped from firing and lasted a long, long time for over 100 shots.  But have had them that didn't go nearly that long.  One that I put in a favored rifle gave four (4) shots and nothing could induce it to give a 5th shot; it got trashed.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 10:24:51 PM »
Depends on the lock.  I finally figured out the lock on my match rifle had a rebounding frizzen problem.  I spread the frizzen spring and problem solved.  Now flints last 3x as long.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 11:15:48 PM »
This topic came up at a Bowling Green Seminar. Gary Brumfield was at our supper table and told what he did.  He started with a choice flint and knapped it very aggressively. When mounted in the lock, the first strike only hit the high spots, but broke those off leaving more contact points. After striking one or two more times, he had a lot of contact with the frizzen and bunches of sparks.  There were a number of conversation at the table, but while Gary described this, everybody at the table was listening carefully.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

vhntr1

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 03:19:05 AM »
A lot of good advice,just put a new flint in my smoothbore.I am getting ready for Monday opening day of Ohio turkey season.
Thanks

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
Good luck vhntr1!!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln