Author Topic: Missing Canadian Ravenshear Muskets  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Nit Wit

Missing Canadian Ravenshear Muskets
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:01:06 AM »
On another post it was said a bunch of Kits Muskets  were missing. Who was in charge of these? Are they really gone. Each one has a # in the ramrod groove, they must be recorded somewhere. I'm just a curious cat!
Thanks
Nit Wit

Offline Nit Wit

Re: Missing Canadian Ravenshear Muskets
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:45 AM »
So where are the folks who had all the comments
 on the other Ravenshear post?
Nit Wit

Shine

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
I’d love to know also, I mean Canada lost 2/3 of it’s defense budget when these muskets went missing.

gizamo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:53:24 AM »
I’d love to know also, I mean Canada lost 2/3 of it’s defense budget when these muskets went missing.

:) ;) :D

When those posts were made....I spent hours looking into the accusations online. Canada Parks was mentioned each time. But with a good deal of research time....nothing came up.

I assume we are talking about the French Marine muskets. I know of several here in the states that can be traced to their original owners. Numbered guns bought from Kit.

Without any documentation of theft or mishandling/ incompetance....or malfeasance -
Why cast any doubt on honest guns bought with honest money?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:02:46 AM by gizamo »

Shine

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:38:49 AM »
Looks like accusations were made on rumor, and hearsay. Hence the silence .

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »
I didn't see the initial question as an accusation, though it was taken as one.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 08:21:09 PM »
 This is just a theory and not meant to stir things up. But, in dark past many of the museums in Canada purchased high quality replica firearms to represent rare and hard to find models in their displays. Over time, and staff changes, these replicas lost their replica provenance, and were given full antique statis. A Golden example of this is in one of Richard Wilson’s books ( The Peacemakers) it references the museums acquisition from its native owners, but under magnification the lock shows casting marks, and the acid etched initials of Green River Forge. Green River Forge originally sold the gun to the museum as a replica, but it “evolved” into an antique treasure.

Hungry Horse

gizamo

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
HH....that sounds plausible,  good point.

I vaguely remember a story about Ravenshear guns being at Louisburg.  One of the major celebrations. Not sure if any of these guns were a ParcCanada acquisition.  It's been many years since  and I no longer recall the details.  Believe they were Marine Muskets.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
I’m not throwing rocks solely at the Canadian museum system. I volunteer with the museums ( we have three) in my county in California. I recently spotted a likely replica in one of the museums and brought it to the attention of the curator. Sure enough it had been donated by someone who knew nothing of firearms and thought that if it looked old, it was old. This runs the gamut from intentional fakery to firearms ignorance.
 The unfortunate part of this is it is much easier to generate a fake from a nice custom gun, than it is to do so from a factory produced one.
 I would say that one of Kits guns with a little aging would take a very knowledgable museum staffer, or curator, to catch.

Hungry Horse

Shine

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »
Well now we are having a discussion, that wasn’t that hard now was it . Lol

gizamo

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:44:41 AM »
The thing is....we are talking about a time period when BBS was king. It predates the WWW and most certainly the Internet we all use today.  The answer to Nit Wits question is most likely found in some old magazine articles from the early 1990s.  Maybe a old MuzlzeBlasts or such.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:45:22 AM by gizamo »

gizamo

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 03:13:35 AM »
Unfortunatly...

This topic has been heavily modified here.  Without comment.

Responses were made and questioned. Clarifications were asked. It was a honest topic. We might have broken new ground.

This time...for once, it was very civil and we might have actually gained some new ground. On the Ravenshear guns called into question.

Hate to lose any opportunity in pursuit of making this right. We are talking of a entire group of guns. If we can clear the air here....there are a lot of Ravenshear collectors that could use that knowledge going forward.

What higher purpose could be served...on this board,  then to share the facts and the truth?

I'm truly sorry this conversation was cut short. Given the past acrimony....understand a moderator trying to intervene.

Giz
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:21:03 AM by gizamo »