Author Topic: Front lock screw has to be relived for ramrod. Is that normal?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline little joe

Re: Front lock screw has to be relived for ramrod. Is that normal?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
My personal opinion is if one of the old timers had to notch a lock bolt or the barrel or both he was trying to get through  a crooked ram rod hole as the drill has a mind of its own. These things happened then as now. I strive for a perfectly centered lock bolt in the web, however sometimes it does not happen. A 6-32 bolt helps here also.

m1garand_man

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »
M1,
Actually, you're talking a 48" plus drill bit.  AND that is how they're drilled.  The length of the barrel, plus!
Also, the more you try to slim down the profile of a stock, the more it becomes an issue.  I've gone as low as 1/16" for a web..... doesn't leave much room for a lock bolt, so something has to give. 
Barrel, ramrod, lock bolt...... sometimes all three.
Isn't gun building a real eye opener?

It is. I have read quite a bit on the topic in old books and watched the film on youtube that was done at colonial Williamsburg in the 60s and have a fairly good idea for the process but would have to review each step before done it myself.

My main apprehensions for building are twofold. First I know I will become obsessed with the project that my family will not see much of me until I'm done and having all the tools to build will mean it won't stop with just one. 

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »
M1,
Welcome to my addiction!
In His grip,

Dane

m1garand_man

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:23 AM »
I really want to get one of the high quality kits for a m1803. I think jim chambers sells them. I have always loved that rifle. My intrest in round ball firing guns is limited for now to flint lock rifles, so there aren't many I really want. Perhaps a furgison rifle. As far as caplock go I really want a Whitworth rifle. Both of those wold be purchased as finished guns when ever i find them. I do have an original colt m1863 special contract musket with a really nice bore. But I digress.