Author Topic: Otter pouch by Franklin Chambers for the CLA Auction  (Read 1007 times)

Offline heinz

Otter pouch by Franklin Chambers for the CLA Auction
« on: July 06, 2018, 03:08:18 AM »
Franklin Chamber made this very nice otter pouch for the CLA Auction.  The feel of this is very nice.

The Otter skin pouch is traditional Native American accouterment and this is particularly fine example for this year’s auction.    James Adair made the following observation relating to Native American hunting pouches: "all the savages sit cross-legged, so my visitors did, and held their guns on their knee, or kept them very near, with their otter-skin shot pouch over one of their shoulders.” 

This nicely tanned otter pouch has the open top construction popular with the Southern Nations. A woven shoulder strap in soft buckskin with a dew claw decoration compliments the pouch.  The dark otter fur has a striking appearance. Franklin notes “the Otter bag is used in the Southern Nations especially the Quahla Or Eastern Tsalagi  Cherokee, in which my father was an enrolled member; my mother was Mohawk Nation Akwesasne. I don't know of extensive use by Northern Woodland Nations, not to say that it wouldn't have been traded for.”

Franklin Chambers has worked on traditional Eastern Woodland style bags for approximately 15 years, His background is in Historical Education and Anthropology. Franklin has been a volunteer for the Conrad Weiser homestead and Daniel Boone homestead for 6 years as a Woodland Iroquoian interpreter and also volunteered at The Iron Hill Museum in Southern Delaware.  He is a new auction donor and we hope to see more of his work in the future

This is an excellent recreation of authentic period accoutrement, a great addition to any eastern Native American collection or historic interpreter’s gear.  These otter skin pouches do not come on the market often.  This is your chance to own an excellent example.

Sken`°nen~ akwe:kon (peace and long life).
Franklin Chambers.

Franklin’s contact information is:

Frank Chambers fc.livinghistory@gmail.com

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:11:55 AM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Otter pouch by Franklin Chambers for the CLA Auction
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:36:50 AM »
Another beautiful piece, and interesting historical notes to go with it.  Thanks for posting all these for us to drool over!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »
That otter be a nice bag. Beautiful work. Thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 06:46:10 AM »
You are welcome Greg. There are more coming. There is a lot of neat stuff in this year's auction and they run a range from the simple and elegant to the just awesome.  I would be proud to own any one of them.
This otter pouch is addictive when you pick it up. Very light and pliable and very native American.

kind regards, heinz