Author Topic: Penny Patch Cutter  (Read 2908 times)

Offline okieboy

Penny Patch Cutter
« on: April 17, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
 Here are pictures of a patch cutter based on the penny knives that I have made. The handle is cherry and the blade is O1 tool steel.
 This is the first folding knife that I have ever made and it is surprising to me how anything so dead simple can require the amount of effort that when into fitting it up.
 This is sort of a prototype and I hope to make one with a cruder more homespun appearance at some point.

Okieboy

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Penny Patch Cutter
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »
Nice...I like it!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:57:11 PM »
I like it, too; very nice.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:22:32 AM »
WOW ! That is a very nice patch knife. I really like the design. When you get it refined how about making a "How To" instruction and post it on this site.

Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:04 AM »
Nice job Okieboy!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »
When not is use as a patch knife it would be perfection for gutting and reaching up a neck to cut the thorax free.  Super useful.

Would  sharpening it  eventually  expose a sharp part of the blade? Maybe the pommel could left larger to account for a lifetime of use. I'd also say round the spine near the tip a bit cause it might want to open it self with that geometry.

Small knives are smart.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:21:34 PM by ddoyle »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 12:13:17 AM »
Is the bevel of the blade single, or double? A single bevel cuts flat to the muzzle, and isn’t as easily damaged in use as a double bevel. Just curious. I really like the knife.

Hungry Horse

Offline okieboy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 01:57:17 AM »
 The blade is a single bevel. It is designed to be held in the left hand (I am left handed) and cut towards you. Yes I know some Safety Bureaucrat will say that everyone must always cut away from themselves, probably good advice for someone who seldom uses sharp instruments. It cuts flat and is VERY sharp. The blade is so hard that maintaining its edge for a lifetime with very fine abrasives like fine ceramic stones probably won't cause noticeable wear.
 It is currently very stiff to open or close and with this type of design if it does loosen up it can be re-tightened by gently hammering on the end of the pivot pin. It isn't intended (for me) to be carried in a pants pocket, but in a shooting bag or box.
 Thanks everyone for the positive comments.   
Okieboy

Black Hand

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:57:35 AM »
Why not just use an unmodified penny knife...?

Offline okieboy

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 02:18:42 AM »
 This is purpose designed to only cut patches. The blade is left rectangular and the edge straight to take the greatest advantage of a single bevel grind. This produces a very sharp edge, but one that would be too delicate for general utility work. The blade design is more related to razors than general purpose knives. Yes, most of the razors that we are familiar with are hollow ground, but not all razors are.
Okieboy

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
That is a nice job you did. I am including a few pictures of ones I have made. The new looking one I made for my father and he uses it as a patch knife. 

The aged one is my personal knife that I routinely carry for everyday use, I added some incised lettering on that is supposed to look like something an early owner might have done around the campfire. This one started out as a regular knife, but the handle split while I was attaching the blade and rather than throw it away I stabilized the split and got creative with the finish.

The next is one of my standard cherry handle knives in process, I don't normally assemble the with unfinished handles, but this one was for a client who wanted to finish it to match his rifle.

Here is a picture of the handle being turned on the lathe. I primarly work on a metal lathe and this is what I use for these handles. The bolt is what I use as a tool rest for free forming the ball end.

The last is a finished one which was the first penny knife I built. I wouldn't try to make one crude looking, just because something was inexpensive in the 18th century doesn't mean it looked crude.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:35:52 PM by 44-henry »

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:10 PM »
Nice knives!  What steel do you use for the blades?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »
Generally now I use O1, but the top knife is made using some blister steel that I made awhile back, here is a photo of some of the pieces after they came out of the pack.

Nice knives!  What steel do you use for the blades?

Greg

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 11:33:54 PM »
Nice...I like it!

Greg

I have a "factory"made knife with a lock open blade and it's
marked "One Arm Razor".It has a slightly curved blade so I
am thinking it's either a tool or a weapon.Very sharp also.
Your hand made knife reminded me of it.I do not carry it
and have a more conventional two blade Schrade given to me
by a game warden on this forum.

Bob Roller