Author Topic: My first horn  (Read 1603 times)

Iktomi

My first horn
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:35:59 PM »
 I had a couple of old, and I mean OLD, small buffalo (bison) horns, so I thought that I would try my hand at a powder horn. It was pretty weathered, with deep fissures and I wasn't able to scrape enough to remove all of them and still have structural integrity and airtightness. It's small, but will make a decent day horn for deer/elk hunting or a priming horn for the day I get my flint longrifle built. The end cap is a piece of Claro, I just need to make a plug and fit it with a strap though it is small enough to tuck into my bag if I wish

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:42:39 PM by Iktomi »

Offline alyce-james

Re: My first horn
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
Iktomi; good morning sir. I think you completed a very nice looking and serviceable day or priming horn. Should be a go to horn and pouch horn. Have a great day. Thanks for sharing. Aj. 
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:45:15 PM »
 Nice look'n little horn.

Tim C.

Iktomi

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:43:31 AM »
Thanks gents. I filled it and measured the capacity. It hold about 700 grains (volumetric), which will give me a 1/2 dozen reloads for my .54 GPR with a bit to spare. More than enough for a day's hunt.

Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
I like how it looks! A really good horn for a day hunt or even a multi day if you’re only chasing one species of game.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 01:57:03 AM »
Nice job...buffalo horn ain’t easy to work. I’ve only made one, and it fought me so hard I had to check and make sure the buffalo wasn’t still attached... :o

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Iktomi

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 05:36:41 AM »
Nice job...buffalo horn ain’t easy to work. I’ve only made one, and it fought me so hard I had to check and make sure the buffalo wasn’t still attached... :o

Greg

I've never made a powder horn before, but I've worked with horn a fair amount making horn nocks for longbows, thumb rings and other archery gear, and I agree that bison horn is harder to work with. I prefer good cow horn or water buffalo.