Author Topic: Bridleless Colonial Va. Lock  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Chris Evrard

Bridleless Colonial Va. Lock
« on: April 20, 2018, 03:19:39 AM »
Hey All,

These are Chambers Colonial VA locks, modified to be bridleless and use a different frizzen spring to approixmate the lock on rifle #138, pages 590-593 of RCA Volume II. In a addition they are tuned, polished, casting lines on the frizzen are removed, frizzens are timed, etc. There are a few testamonials in the original link. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=45711.0
Thanks!

Chris Evrard

PS. I am a recovering machinist ;) and one of the builders for Chambers Flintlocks, and have built over 2000 (ha! more like 2500 now!) locks during the past 4 years. Also, if you have anything you'd like to see, let me know.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:30:59 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Chris Evrard

Re: Bridleless Colonial Va. Locks for Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:29:10 AM »
Hey Guys,

Got a start on the new batch. Just a few pics for you as they come together.

Frizzens are set, and bridles have been chopped!

Lots of filing going on! All the pans are now roughed in. Got a lot more fine filing to do tomorrow before final frizzen fitting. After that, on to the internals.

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:44:13 AM »
Alright guys, after two days of filing and paper the frizzens are set and fit and the pans are shaped. I still have to file all the casting lines off the frizzens on Monday, and then I can start working on the internals.

This is the point where you finally feel like you're making progress. Whoohoo!

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 01:56:21 AM »
Just another update for the buyers.

Got the casting lines filed and sanded out of the frizzens this morning.

Then got to work on prepping the internals. Large and small tumbler axles were turned, and center drilled for subsequent drilling and tapping.

Bridles were drilled, reamed and countersunk.

And the whole pile of internals is getting close to being ready for fitting. Tomorrow I should get the fitting done so I'll probably get to heat treat tomorrow afternoon or Wed. morning. In the home stretch now!

Offline Chris Evrard

Re: Bridleless Colonial Va. Locks for Sale : Sold Pending Funds
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
Hey All,

Finished the batch last night.

The internals always look so nice after tempering. In this pic the tumblers have had their secondary polish on the axles and I was getting ready to do the mainspring ramp with that cratex wheel.

And here is the finished batch.

If you are one of the buyers and you didn't receive my email, please let me know. chris@chrisevrard.com

Thanks All!

CE