Author Topic: Kangaroo Bag  (Read 3209 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Kangaroo Bag
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:29:56 AM »
This bag is made of vegetable tanned kangaroo. Rolled welts, decorated with Vandyke and scallop pinking,  fully bound and fitted with one of my handmade buckles in brass with a temper blued iron tongue. As always, it's hand stitched, one stitch at a time ; )

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Kangaroo Bag
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »
Very Nice James, I love the buckle design. How many oz was the main bag made from and where did you find kangaroo ?

Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »
Someone will hop on that real quick!!! Beautifully done!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
Beautiful  work, as always an inspiration, James.  Thanks for sharing. I’m sure some fine
gentleman will be sporting it soon.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
 Good looking bag James. I used to use Kangaroo for Braiding, really tough stuff.

Tim

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »
Most certainly one of the finest of gentlemen will be sporting this bag soon as he is one of us here ; ) lota ofnlittle stitches in this one. The main bag is around 3 oz. It's supposedly the toughest leather in thickness comparison. As Tim mentioned his use of it in braiding, the best whips are done in roo hide.

ddoyle

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »
Beautiful work.

A Canuck has to ask, does the bag come with a tin of Marsupial Pouch Mucus lube- MPML? ;D  (Reference: Pile, Gayl. 2014 Hamilton Ont.)

Iktomi

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »
Simple and neat and very fine  :)

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 02:00:25 AM »
I saw this one over on Instagram...absolutely beautiful!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 03:40:28 AM »
Nice to to someone saw it on instagram. That is totally new to this old man with all the hash tag stuff ; )

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »
Restrained elegance sir.  Beautiful lines.  I like the bold, confident move of placing the cream stitching on the black bag.  It makes a clear and obvious statement of quality workmanship.  Well done James. Well done indeed.  God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 07:47:45 PM »
James:  how did you apply the black stain so evenly?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
Thanks all. Yes Marc, it's a bit of a fright and challenge to spotlight the stitches but that's what I do ; ) Also, a picture seems to highlight every single wonky area and everyone who handstitches the way I do has them to some degree.
Taylor, the color is actually a dark brown and I have worked for years at trying for even application. The main key is dilute your dye and creep up on the color.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:41:03 AM by James Rogers »

Offline trentOH

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 11:45:43 PM »
As expected on a kangaroo bag, when you lift the flap, there's a pouch!  ;)

Man, I am one sick puppy.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 03:17:26 AM »
James,
           what a lovely bag. I have often wondered if one could make a set of buckskin clothes out of kangaroo. I see a firm here down under that makes ver flash mens jackets so looks like one could.  I am intrigued that you tanned a roo hide in the US.  I guess I had better have a go at making one my self out of the next roo I get.
     Really nice bag and a nice surprise !! I might add that I live and work in Western Australia !! Kangaroo makes great boot uppers and of course whips. I have two stockwhips one of which belonged to my late father who was a stockman and station manager/.

cheers

Gordon
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:22:59 AM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

n stephenson

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 05:14:39 AM »
James, Beautiful bag!! Very neatly done! Thanks for posting! Nate

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 05:37:51 AM »
Thanks all.

Trent,  you had m in stitches over that comment. I never would have thought of that and now I can't NOT think about it ; )

Gordon, this leather was bark tanned in your country : )

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 03:52:50 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone on this site know what a wonderful job James did on this bag for me.  I have made a few items myself out of kangaroo leather and very much appreciated its combination of suppleness and toughness.  However, not being a very accomplished leather worker, I wanted someone who knew what they were doing to make a shot pouch for me out of the same type of leather.  James had not used 'roo leather before and, when I asked him, he mentioned that he "never used kangaroo leather as much of my work is for reenact or wanting leather as would have been used with the particular material item I am replicating".  I responded by saying that there was undoubtedly someone in the 18th century using kangaroo leather to make firearm accessories in Australia... ;)  At any rate, James graciously took on the job and did his usual superlative job.  I have two other bags that James has made for me and I couldn't tell you if I have a favorite, but you would have to see and feel this one to really appreciate it.  Thanks again James !!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:55:21 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 04:39:14 AM »
Kangaroo bag from James with one of the silver mounted horns I made recently.......

And inside.....my kangaroo leather accessory wallet I made a while back.  I am all set for any contingency.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 03:56:19 AM »
What a gorgeous pairing.  Two masters at the top of their craft.  Just stunning.  Congratulations on your skills you two.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 04:10:49 AM »
I'm still amazed someone with Dave's talent would even consider me making a bag for them. I'm in awe of his abilities.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 04:25:48 AM »
I know why Dave picked you to make his bag. You have great talent and practice tirelessly. You are persistent, detail oriented, and have a good eye. And, you inspire learners like me. Go look in the mirror.  :-)

Yes, Dave does amazing work. I cherish my useful Gunners Mate.

God Bless. Marc

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 02:26:55 AM »
Can you tell us what the 1st, 4th, and 6th accessories are for?

Counting from left to right.

I know the others.

I don't understand the heart shaped thing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:27:49 AM by Martin S. »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
Martin,

Sure.....the first (left to right) is a sewing kit.......

The fourth is an oil bottle shaped like a little pistol barrel.......

The sixth is just a stack of various size jags on a threaded rod with a heart shaped top.  It also has an adapter to convert from 8-32 to 10-32 rod tools.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 06:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.