Author Topic: Hoping to ID this signature  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Hoping to ID this signature
« on: April 22, 2018, 03:46:08 PM »
Western PA or Ohio rifle

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Hoping to ID this signature
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »
I'd think JKH
John Robbins

Offline fundukj

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »
In my opinion, that's Jacob Horner from Somerset.  It looks like his work and those are his initials.  At least that was my best guess when I owned that rifle.  A photo of his gravestone shows the middle initial "C."

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the rifle.  I acquired it from a man who bought it thinking it was a Somerset Cty rifle and then he changed his mind because several
people said the patchbox and trigger guard were only used in Western PA and he lost interest.  I always thought of that patchbox as being a "National Road" patchbox and
the National Road runs right through Somerset County.  Maybe I will get a chance to see another Horner some day for comparison.  Until then, I tend to agree with you.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:11:02 PM »
And the middle initial on the barrel could just as easily be a C, so there you have it!
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »
I felt that the circle before each letter was not a part of each letter, so I ruled out the K because there is no upper left leg on the letter??

J.E. Moore

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 01:50:09 AM »
Looks like a J A H . The circles look to be part of the design to me to.