Author Topic: Aging eyes.....  (Read 7827 times)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Aging eyes.....
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 08:25:27 PM »
My .54 rifle fits me extremely well. I don't even bother much with the rear sight, but concentrate on the front. I put the front on the target and the rear sight is fuzzy, but it doesn't matter.  Works for me.

The rear sight is supposed to be fuzzy! The eye cannot focus at multiple locations at the same time....only one! ;D
This is what I was told also -- rear sight = slightly "fuzzy" -- front sight = clear -- target= "fuzzy" this is with pistol & rifle iron sights. You eye vacillates between the front sight and rear sight while you are sighting on the target but you should see the front sight as clear as possible. This is why if you don't break the shot within a short amount of time your eye gets tired and everything gets "fuzzy". Then you have to start all over ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 11:37:58 PM »
With "floaters" swirling around in my eyes like a swarm of huge, angry hornets, the front sight is always problematic.  I also can't see the rear or the target, of course, but I sure would like to see the front sight clearly.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 12:37:14 AM »
My .54 rifle fits me extremely well. I don't even bother much with the rear sight, but concentrate on the front. I put the front on the target and the rear sight is fuzzy, but it doesn't matter.  Works for me.

The rear sight is supposed to be fuzzy! The eye cannot focus at multiple locations at the same time....only one! ;D
This is what I was told also -- rear sight = slightly "fuzzy" -- front sight = clear -- target= "fuzzy" this is with pistol & rifle iron sights. You eye vacillates between the front sight and rear sight while you are sighting on the target but you should see the front sight as clear as possible. This is why if you don't break the shot within a short amount of time your eye gets tired and everything gets "fuzzy". Then you have to start all over ;D.
I keep reading the same thing but I'm not sure that works for everybody. When I use a peep sight the rear is fuzzy but the front sight and the target are sharp and clear. With a longrifle the front sight is beyond my vision trouble zone. Now I won't pretend to understand why this is, but it has always been so. Maybe I just refocus my eye so fast I don't notice. After shooting untold thousands of rounds a lot of problems take care of themselves. The last 20 years or so each shot I fire I practice my concentration, follow through, breathing and trigger squeeze, and burning the front sight right into the target, just like I try to do at a rifle match or shooting at a big buck. Over time this has built a lot of muscle memory.
But I also consider this, I shoot a fair amount of pistol also and the front sights are becoming blurry just like the rear, with only the target clear. By concentrating on the target I'm still able to keep most of my shots into or close to, the 10 ring. Maybe  the same thing is happening with the rifle but I just don't notice it.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 03:36:10 AM »
Hitting 57 this year and being in glasses since I was six years old, I cannot see the car speedometer without glasses, I have always struggled with the sights. I recently switched to a pair of glasses without the bifocal grind and the center of the prescription is higher up in the lens,

I tried punching a hole in a cling sticker and put it on my glasses and it made a world of difference last year. I have since bought a pair of Eyepals and plan to give them a try. Dry firing, the sharpness of the sights was even better than my home made attempts at the same solution. I think the die cut peep hole of the Eyepals is far sharper than I could do at home with a window cling sticker.

http://www.eyepalusa.com

DAve

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 04:34:43 AM »
With "floaters" swirling around in my eyes like a swarm of huge, angry hornets, the front sight is always problematic.  I also can't see the rear or the target, of course, but I sure would like to see the front sight clearly.

This is what drives many of us to go to smoothbores. On top of that, the use of very low power diopters (.25 to .75 or even 1.0) readers, helps us keep shooting.  I am not giving up on rifles just yet, but I feel THAT "end" is near.  I sometimes get good targets with rifles - but- only accurate ones with tight loads.  ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 06:32:43 PM »
I had a new barrel installed by David Price here in NH....and he moved the rear sight up...as in towards the front blade....to help with the old eyes....working good !

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »
As a matter of fact I have been using my smoothbore more and more and killed my last deer with it.  It has a rear sight with a double wide notch; lots of daylight.  Also shoots shot just fine; striking only a little below the sights.  On a turkey I can aim at the head and hit the neck.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 12:04:40 AM »
About an hour ago I got back from the ophthamologist and she told me the left eye
cataract has developed and we will set up an appointment for a measurement and
implant on he 18th of this month.The right side hasn't developed to the point of a
repair job yet.

Bob Roller

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 01:10:31 AM »
Did he ask if you wanted normal, distant or close vision after the removal? I was near sighted and my doctor asked if I wanted him to duplicate my near sighted vision (no way!) or to give me as close to 20/20 as he could. I chose 20/20 and at the time I ended up with one eye right at 20/20 and the other about 20/25. Since then both have deteriorated to closer to 20/40 and that is with or without glasses. Glasses help me very little. Surprisingly I can read newsprint fine with either eye without aid. Only when light is dim do I need reading glasses.

Oh, he offered to make one eye near sighted and one normal! I thought at first he was kidding but he wasn't. He said he had done that to several patients (their request). I would think it would drive me crazy.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2018, 01:42:01 AM »
Did he ask if you wanted normal, distant or close vision after the removal? I was near sighted and my doctor asked if I wanted him to duplicate my near sighted vision (no way!) or to give me as close to 20/20 as he could. I chose 20/20 and at the time I ended up with one eye right at 20/20 and the other about 20/25. Since then both have deteriorated to closer to 20/40 and that is with or without glasses. Glasses help me very little. Surprisingly I can read newsprint fine with either eye without aid. Only when light is dim do I need reading glasses.

Oh, he offered to make one eye near sighted and one normal! I thought at first he was kidding but he wasn't. He said he had done that to several patients (their request). I would think it would drive me crazy.
Dennis

Dennis,
I told her that most of my work is up close and she was surprised to know I was
still working.20-20 will be fine if I can regain it.The left eye is first so we'll see
how that works out.I told her that I am not the type to sit down and watch the crack
in the plaster get longer and worked because I wanted to and retirement to me was
just practicing to be dead.

Bob

Iktomi

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
 I've noticed in the last year that open sights have become more difficult for me. I'm due for an eye exam and likely a new eye Rx so we'll see if that helps.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
I had cataracts removed over a year ago and, except for floaters, had 20/25 long distance vision.  I think sight has deteriorated a bit in both eyes; or at least they're not as sharp as they were a year ago.  My worst eye is the right and I'm right eye dominant.  :'(

I cannot read without reading glasses and have to wear them to see front sights.  Guess I'll have them checked after we get moved later on.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »
Back to the eye doc today and her technician scanned both eyes with an
electrogizmo that measured all sorts of radii,depths and other things.
June 18 is the target date for implant in the left eye.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »

Dennis

That's interesting Dennis.  If you go back and look at my earlier response on this thread...(Post #12) you see that my Optometrist did with the replaceable lenses in my shooting glasses what your Doc was proposing to do surgically with your eyes.
Never heard of that. Not sure how I'd like it for 24/7, but the brain does figure it out. Having that set-up on my shooting glasses REALLY helps to keep me shooting iron sights on both pistols and rifles.   
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline okawbow

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »
I got back into shooting muzzleloaders about 4 years ago. I had a lot of trouble seeing the sights and target at the same time, and my accuracy was poor. The peep hole attachment to my shooting glasses helped a little.

. About the same time I woke up one day and had “floaters” and could barely see out of my right eye. Went to the doctor, and was diagnosed with  torn retina. Had to get laser surgery yo repair it.

The doctor had me start on an eye suppliment pill called  Occuvite. Gradually my ability to see the sights and target improved. I am now shooting better than any time in my life, and winning woods walks, table shoots, and paper matches. I hate taking pills, but can highly recommend the Occuvite if you need an eye suppliment.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline snapper

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
Fellows, Dave mentioned eye pals  http://www.eyepalusa.com earlier in the discussion.

I ordered a set and finally got around today to playing with them.

WOW, I can clearly see the rear sight now. 

I need cheaters to see up close and to read with.  Still have great un corrected distance vision.

Put one on my shooting glasses and the rear sight on my rifles are very clear now using these with out any correction, it is like magic.

For my long range rifle with peeps,  It took quite a bit of trial to get the thing placed right on my glasses.  For some reason it makes the hole in the rear sight appear to be smaller.   Time will tell if it helps with the peeps.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Neven

• Starting Member
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 02:15:56 PM »
I purchased some safety glasses from these folks and the glasses come in whatever magnification you need. The lower magnification helps me see my front sights a lot better and they are safety glasses too. They have numerous styles. Better then readers.

https://www.fullsource.com/pyramex-sb1810r10/

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 11:57:27 PM »
About an hour ago I got back from the ophthamologist and she told me the left eye
cataract has developed and we will set up an appointment for a measurement and
implant on he 18th of this month.The right side hasn't developed to the point of a
repair job yet.

Bob Roller

YESTERDAY I had an implant installed in my left eye and cataract removed.
I still don't have 100% vision with it but the doctor said it will be about a week
and today it is better, I don't worry about sights and if I need any I will make the
calibrated folding type found on long range muzzle loaders and a hooded type
like the 17A with Lee Shaver's inserts.
My concern was and is being able to do lock work right at the end of my nose (almost).
I am far sighted and can see long distances with no trouble which helps when driving.
I still want to do a few(very)locks each month and if I do I will post them and the price
on this forum.
Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 01:17:54 AM »
My right eye, until May 28 at 9 am, was fubar.  It was like trying to see the sights though a plastic milk jug.  Aperture sights were worse.
Dr. Lukaris repaired the subcapsular posterior cataract and gave me an implant lens.  I now have 20/20 vision in that eye, and 20/25 in the left.  The difference is hard to put into words.  I am ecstatic - an understatement.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 05:25:59 AM »
Whelp, me too.  ;D

17 years in my last Rx and just got my new mail-order specs today-which could be a whole 'nuther topic.

But I think they got 'em pretty good and I'm trying to adjust to progressive lenses because I've been wearing readers under/with my Rx at the bench for a long time.  I was going to get lined BF, but the pretty lady convinced me I was "too young" for that. So of course (after some discussion with the doc) I went with progressives. The sunglasses fit righto, no nose pads to adjust.  These I'll have to optometrize a little bit as they're sitting a little high.

Doc said the correction pulls me back to 20/15 which sounds good to me. I initially got glasses in about the 8th grade, but didn't start wearing any full-time until I was in my 20's and just went a little long on the last Rx (but tha's another story too).  LOVE the pic scan of my retina-way better that my last experience. And I got to see too!  Super happy there were no "surprises". Still some adjusting to do.  Shooting hasn't been a problem and I don't think these progressives will change that. We don't know though-until we find out.  Carry on.
Hold to the Wind

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
The cataracts were the worse problem, so an eye exam is paramount.

After that, it becomes a question of which glasses you need, which sight you can see, and how much are you willing to put up with because a man gotta shoot.

Offline Gordy

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
Well here's what I did to be more competitive at the paper target shoots. And so far it seems to have made an improvement on my shooting. I purchased a Lyman 57A adjustable peep sight. I had to make a 1/4 inch riser block to eliminate running out of elevation. But other than that pretty simple installation and it gives you the windage/elevation adjustments needed to shoot the various distance paper matches. Just looks kind of odd on my 32, but sure makes her shoot mighty nice.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »

Bob Roller
One week ago today,12 June I had the cataract removed and an implant in my left eye and today
I plan to work in the shop to se how well it works.At 82,I expect no miracles but some of our friends
claim I will see a BIG difference.I will post on this later today,good or bad.As ong as I can see well enough to do
accurate work in the shop I will be satisfied .The kind of shooting I do is not welcome here and for good reason
and requires only decent eyesight.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 11:14:01 PM »

Bob Roller
One week ago today,12 June I had the cataract removed and an implant in my left eye and today
I plan to work in the shop to se how well it works.At 82,I expect no miracles but some of our friends
claim I will see a BIG difference.I will post on this later today,good or bad.As ong as I can see well enough to do
accurate work in the shop I will be satisfied .The kind of shooting I do is not welcome here and for good reason
and requires only decent eyesight.
Bob Roller

Good day in the shop,5.5 hours working on 2 4 pin locks and no visual problems.
Better vision but not as spectacular as some friends reported they got.on 26 July
an exam on the right eye and probably a date for another cataract removal and implant.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:59 AM »

Exactly - but when the rear sight is a fuzzy blob that you cannot distinguish ANY firm sides, top or bottom, it's too fuzzy. some sights, I see 2 or 3 lines for the top of the rear sight. If the V or U notch is too small, the front sight cannot be seen at all in the fuzziness.  .5 to .75 dipoter readers clear up the sights almost perfectly, but do make the target more fuzzy. Being able to see the sights has shown to be more important than the target. Just shoot it in the middle of the fuz.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V