Author Topic: Bag #6 – My Bob Hill & Jim Webb Bag  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Marcruger

Bag #6 – My Bob Hill & Jim Webb Bag
« on: April 27, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »
Hi Folks,
I just wrapped up my 6th leather project, an 8”x 8” Appalachian shooting/hunting bag.  This bag’s inspiration came from Bob Hill and Jim Webb, hence the title.

Bob recently gave me a big piece of pigskin, with the offer, “See what you can make out of this.”  That got the wheels spinning while I was finishing up the last bag.  Bob makes some really fine bags, so that set a high bar for this gift leather.

Jim Webb makes delightful, intricate bags, and I want to take home some of his creative work every time I see him.  Jim is extremely patient and generous with his time and knowledge, and has endured many questions from me.  The idea here was to try to create something along the lines of Jim’s bags, realizing I possess but a small fraction of his talent.

The bag here is made from Bob’s pigskin, with a suede calfskin lining.  The rolled edging is deerskin, and Jim showed me how it is done.  The strap is cowhide, made in three sections.  I tried out various decorative two-color stitching methods on this one, including a “rope” design under the bag front opening.

The strap is hung from a gusset on each side.  That took some thinking to get all of the stitching right.  There seemed to be miles of hand stitching in this bag before I was done.    The tabs behind the buckles are for attaching horn hangers (learned from Jim).

The pigskin is waxed finished, with the feel of oilcloth.

The iron buckles are from an antique mule bridle.  Ron Hess found this bridle in an antique shop, and with great generosity sent me the buckles.  After soaking in lye, wire brushing, and finishing, I think they work well on this bag.  Thank you Ron!

I think the key take away here is friendship.  I’ll will always view this one with thoughts of great friends. 
God Bless,   Marc

Online BOB HILL

Re: Bag #6 – My Bob Hill & Jim Webb Bag
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 05:09:56 PM »
I think you’ve done that pig justice, Marc. Another fine piece work. Thanks for sharing
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
Another nice one, Marc!  Neat little details everywhere you look...you’re going to need a special horn indeed to match this beauty!

Well done!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:53:39 PM »
 Another Great job Mac, very nice design and the stitching is Really well done. Can't wait to see #7  :)

Tim

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:04:27 AM »
Tim, the pictures don’t do it justice. I got a look at it yesterday. Quite impressive stitching.
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 06:15:24 PM »
Marc, I really like you work, this is a very nice bag. One thing I would have done different and would do if I was lucky enough to take possession, is to remove the man-in-the moon as a placard, cut the profile into the bag flap and reattach him on the underside. I should mind my own business but I keep coming back to look at it and I guess it leaves me with an unfinished feeling. Anyway, I really like the bag.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »
Nicely done. Very neat.