Author Topic: Rivet forge with rachet blower  (Read 5569 times)

Fiftyfour

Rivet forge with rachet blower
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:44:04 PM »
I have had the little forge for a long but never really used it.
Basically all the parts are there but just need cleaning.
 I have read mixed reviews on these forges with some
Quite negative.  Has anyone here used one of these?
Would they work with charcoal?
Thanks

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Rivet forge with rachet blower
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
I’ve seen a couple versions of these and depending on how deep the firepot is how effective they are. I used one for a week doing demos at a festival a couple years ago and except for the belt stretching (because of downpouring rain), it did fine. I kept putting wood ashes on the belt for traction to get through the day and respliced it next morning. Good for light work and fairly portable.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »
I started out with one of these and worked fine on small stuff until the belt broke. At the time I could not find the splices to fix a new belt. I know have a hand crank blower that if you are not careful, you can blow the coal out of the forge.
All gave some Some gave all

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »
They work fine if they are in good shape, but they are more prone to failure than geared blowers. They are very common, because they were cheap, and most farms, or ranches, needed a forge. But, they didn’t need an industrial strength forge.

Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:57:37 PM »
I spliced my belt on the job with soft iron wire. Just made several little staples. Made matching rows of holes in both ends of the belt, inserted the staples from the back side and rolled the belt onto the pulleys. I made it a wee bit short so it rolled on tight then with the splice backed by a pulley I peened the staples over. It’s still holding after a couple years or so.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 02:47:04 AM »
Side note for anyone wanting to fix up one of these needing a flat belt. McMaster - Carr Co. has flat belting and the aligator splice kits. I just ordered a belt for an old drill press I picked up (and some sal amoniac I’ve been looking for).
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
Absolutely no need for the metal splices. Simply skive the leather and sew together. I used one like that for years.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 04:36:08 AM »
Shovelbuck you are right. I have sewn them before as well. Only I didn't have any sewing material when I made my field repair with wire. Probably would only need the "aligator" clips if you were running higher torque and rpm, like sawmill etc.,.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »
Here is a picture of my ratchet blower rivet forge. I had to do some restoration work on it but not too much. Still needed a tuyere grate when the picture was taken. It works OK for me but the dogs don't always engage causing the gears to slip periodically which gets annoying. I need to see if there is a fix for that. I oiled them which perhaps I shouldn't have. I'm thinking the oil is sticky causing the dogs to not drop into place sometimes. If that's the case it will be an easy fix. Anyone run into this?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:36:25 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline heelerau

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 12:47:12 AM »
I use charcoal in my little riveting forge and it works fine. Mine is a little Buffalo forge, rotary bellows, not a ratchet  one
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline 45-110

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
i have a 4 legged rivet forge that i use for all kinds of small to medium projects. by banking up coal or charcoal on small crucibles i have cast brass rifle/pistol parts and belt buckles. acquired this little forge 40 years ago, so it has seen lots of use. only replaced the belt twice. its true that the fire is shallow so forge welding is difficult.
best kw

Fiftyfour

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 01:57:55 AM »
My forge is almost identical to Robert's shown above but has four legs and has not been restored.
Any idea of who the manufacturer would have been?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 02:39:56 AM »
Mine is unmarked. They were sold unmarked by Sears, Montgomery Wards, and many others across the country. Without markings there is no way to tell.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Fiftyfour

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 02:05:52 PM »
Do you guys line your rivet forges with clay, steel plate or just use it unlined?

Offline 45-110

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »
i have never lined mine. the iron bowl though is in good shape. i don't believe they where ever intended to have some refractory cement added.
kw

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 04:55:32 PM »
Never lined mine and haven't had a problem yet. I know some swear you have to but that has not been my experience.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 03:02:49 PM »
My current little hand crank rivet forge has given way in the bottom and will need repair. I had to borrow this forge for demo last Friday. It is home made and works quite well.

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline heinz

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 02:32:44 AM »
My ratchet rivet forge will skip if the dog gets dirty or more so if my rhythm gets off.
How does that straight handle work for you. Mine has a bent handle that is about shot and I am thinkinking of alternative ass I overhaul it.
I do use clay and fire bricks to line the pan. I find I get a deeper fire that way.

kind regards, heinz

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 03:48:18 AM »
Heinz - My forge came without a handle so that is one that I made. Have only used that straight one so don't know if a curved one would be better. In any event, it doesn't seem awkward to me.  I have also noticed that if I get the rhythm just right the dogs don't seem to miss as badly.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana