Author Topic: Gonna try to make a horn  (Read 1611 times)

Tracker0721

Gonna try to make a horn
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »
I got Scott Sibley’s book the other day and my box of horns. Read a lot online and the book is excellent so I’m feeling confident. My only hold up is the size of my horns. I feel I could lop off enough from the top to make a cup and still have a big powder horn. My tattoo ends in my elbow for size reference. What’s a normal length? I just built a 50 cal Hawken to use it with.

Dylan

Black Hand

Re: Gonna try to make a horn
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »
Before you remove anything from the butt end, figure out how much of the tip is solid. You probably don't want to drill the tip for more than the available length of your bit, so that will help decide where to trim the back end.

Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:46:24 AM »
Oh, I just opened the book and saw the cut in half horn. I didn’t think horn would have such a long solid part! I had sorta flipped through the book and was reading the further on chapters. Guess I better read from the start before asking questions. It probably goes over lengths haha getting ahead of myself.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 02:18:10 AM »
Long narrow horns are not the best, but you’ll get experience.  What’s the diameter at the butt end?
Andover, Vermont

Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 03:18:26 AM »
Cap ends are all oval and 2-3” at the narrowest part. Tested all the internal lengths and 2 were pretty shallow but the other 4 get to within 2” of the tip.

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 03:57:17 AM »
Personally, long thin horns look funny to me. You do have a great collection from which to make a variety of small horn containers, cups, needle cases and other items.

Offline R.I.J.

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
Tracker, I believe that you will profit by going ahead with this horn, the learning experience will be worth it. My first horns were pretty ugly but I learned the basics and still had smooth horns to cut up to make other items. Keep your cutoff tips and pieces you will find uses for them, this "hobby" is addictive.

n stephenson

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 03:02:18 PM »
You can run a piece of wire up inside to find how deep the hollow is. Mark it on the outside , this will help determine where to cut it off and drill it .  Nate

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
I see a real nice horn in there!! Good luck, have fun!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Two Feathers

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 02:39:22 AM »
Trakker0721
If you don't mind my asking where did you buy the box of horns and does the person have more? I have a ton of small (6 to 8") horns here but they're a little too small for what I do. I agree with Rich Pierce. Long, skinny, horns are not the best for powder horns. I prefer something with about a 3" end diameter and a little stubby, maybe 12" across the span. This isn't the best example of my work, but, as you can see that this one is a little stubby, that's the way I like them.
Just my ramblings. Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »
I agree that a 3” end and 12” does seem pretty ideal. I bought these off of amazon actually, 55 for 6. I’ll get to start my first one tomorrow so I’ll post up how it goes. Eventually I’d like to try scrimshaw too but for now something to keep my powder handy in the woods is all I need. I hope horn making is as enjoyable as firearms and knives, really a great set of hobbies that get explored here!